Venus and the moon tonight.

It will approach from the South and head North. It's a good idea to head out a few minutes before the flare time. Good luck for tonight. !

Edit: The speed is about the same as an high altitude plane.

I did go out actually a couple of mins before ten past yesterday, but will go out tonight a couple of mins to 5? Do they all come from the south and head north?

Cheers

I did go out actually a couple of mins before ten past yesterday, but will go out tonight a couple of mins to 5? Do they all come from the south and head north?

Cheers

Generally North to South yes, though they may be more towards the SW/SE.

Heading out at 17.00 should be fine, though the sky isn't looking to promising at the minute.

Cheers. I'll get my coat!

:hihi:

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 17:06 ----------

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 17:06 ----------

Just watched it, but only saw it at it's peak brightness due to the cloud.

Nope didn't see anyhing. Saw a light coming from the south but then went off east. Think it was a plane. Bugger.

Yeah i saw the plane too, the flare was visible but right overhead, i only caught it for a second or two.

Ah well, try again at 16.58 tomorrow for a -3.5 one, let's hope the sky is clearer.

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 17:16 ----------

Btw, there's also another tomorrow listed as 17.00.41 @ mag -0.8, not the brightest but worth trying to spot if you're out anyway.

Yeah i saw the plane too, the flare was visible but right overhead, i only caught it for a second or two.

Ah well, try again at 16.58 tomorrow for a -3.5 one, let's hope the sky is clearer.

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 17:16 ----------

Btw, there's also another tomorrow listed as 17.00.41 @ mag -0.8, not the brightest but worth trying to spot if you're out anyway.

Ah so it's a very quick thing is it?

If you'd post when there's going to be a biggy I'd be grateful. I can't keep trotting out every 2 mins and staring slack jawed at the sky. People will talk!

Ah so it's a very quick thing is it?

If you'd post when there's going to be a biggy I'd be grateful. I can't keep trotting out every 2 mins and staring slack jawed at the sky. People will talk!

The flare will initially be quite dim but it brightens as the satellite rolls and it's solar panels "catch" and reflect the sun, the whole thing lasts around a minute.

The one tomorrow evening is well worth a look, ones as bright as tonight's aren't that common.

Archived