Rotherham by election predictions

I think a 38% turnout is pretty good. It was around 18% in by-elections a couple of weeks ago.

And I think Sarah Champion has done pretty well considering the local party members shamefully walked out of the selection meeting.

Don't blame the one MP for the "crimes" of their party, she's done some pretty good stuff in the past.

Well if she doesn't steal from the electorate that would be a great start. Biggest surprise for me was the poor Respect vote, being beaten by the BNP in Rotherham must have hurt. Also Lee Jasper came 6th and lost his deposit in Croydon. I expected better results from them. UKIP had a great night and it's telling that they are doing well in working class areas now; 2nd in Barnsley, Rotherham and Middlesborough should finally put the "Tories on steroids" nonsense to bed.

Well if she doesn't steal from the electorate that would be a great start. Biggest surprise for me was the poor Respect vote, being beaten by the BNP in Rotherham must have hurt. Also Lee Jasper came 6th and lost his deposit in Croydon. I expected better results from them. UKIP had a great night and it's telling that they are doing well in working class areas now; 2nd in Barnsley, Rotherham and Middlesborough should finally put the "Tories on steroids" nonsense to bed.

Exactly,think UKIP will be one to watch in future.

We can probably expect the Conservatives to beef up their immigration policies rather than leave it to UKIP. There have been a few stories over the last few days about the recent failures of the Immigration Service to stop students overstaying their welcome. At the same time student applications are down 9%. It's an open door for tougher immigration rules.

Best bit of the whole thing for me was the poor showing for the EDL. Only 29 votes, well done Rotherham.

Best bit of the whole thing for me was the poor showing for the EDL. Only 29 votes, well done Rotherham.

Im not a supporter of the EDL but Clint Bristow was running as an independent candidate, not as the EDL. I think his voter share probably would have increased if he ran under the EDL banner. He may have mentioned the EDL in his election leaflets but when people come to vote and they see (Independent) next to the name, they wont know what party he was connected to.

The real winners are UKIP with a 15.9% rise in votes and the coalition parties are the losers.

Im not a supporter of the EDL but Clint Bristow was running as an independent candidate, not as the EDL. I think his voter share probably would have increased if he ran under the EDL banner.

The real winners are UKIP with a 15.9% rise in votes and the coalition parties are the losers.

He wasn't running as an independant. Strictly speaking, he offered no description of his party on the forms. That is different to being "Independent".

Lovely to see him crash and burn though.

He wasn't running as an independant. Strictly speaking, he offered no description of his party on the forms. That is different to being "Independent".

Lovely to see him crash and burn though.

My understanding of an independent is someone independent of a political party or organisation. It's a catch-all for anyone not representing a party regardless of what label (or none) you describe yourself as. Bristow had no party or organisation so he must have been an independent. I've never thought you have to call yourself an independent to be an independent. If he wasn't an independent what was he apart from a convicted criminal?

Archived