Interesting maths question, what's the answer?

Nagel

If you choose an answer at random what is the probability of being correct?

A) 25%

B) 50%

C) 60%

D) 25%

Can you get the mods to change the OP question to the actual one as later pointed out?, and it will save even more headache than is potentially already there.

I think it's a good question personally Nagel, what made you think of it? I like this sort of thing. It looks either paradox, or too ambiguous in wording. Where's headingnorth when you want him?!

though...

If you picked an answer to the question then it wasn't at random. You were 100% wrong. :)

... if they picked an answer, then it could have been randomly picked. How do you know they picked the answer with 'thought to the answer' or 'at random'?

On the information you were given, you can't be 100% sure that you are right. (unless you KNOW the answer to the question is that anyone who chooses an answer either randomly or not - IS wrong)

answer to the proper question

if I randomly chose 25% then i'd have a 50% chance of getting it right

if I randomly chose any of the other 2 I'd have a 25% chance of getting it right

just depends what the answer is:confused:

stupid question really:loopy::loopy:

Look at the correct question (as linked).

If you randomly chose 25% it would be incorrect (because 2 answers were 25% and so that answer cannot be correct).

If you randomly chose 50% then that can also not be correct as 50% only appears once.

Because of the possible answers, non of the answers can be correct.

I must have been dreaming about this :hihi: Woke up and my very first thought was "if theres 3 answers is it not 33.33333%?" Oh god lol

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The OP doesn't say you choose an answer from the list, they just say choose a random answer, so there are infinite possible answers.

Can you get the mods to change the OP question to the actual one as later pointed out?, and it will save even more headache than is potentially already there.

Can we also get the mods to change the thread title as this is little to do with maths and more to do with philosophy? The interpretation of the question is more important than the answer.

Archived