The Mossbrook, Eckington

GrahamY

I happened across The Mossbrook and spotted that Wednesday is Pie Day. I went down and ordered a Beef and merlot pie http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/themossbrookeckington/offer/pieday/

I got served with a dish of beef stew with a very thin puff pastry lid. It was rubbish, as were the chips.

When I was asked about my meal, I pointed out that it was not a pie. It was £9.95 of rubbish. I shall not be going back.

'You can't beat a great pie now and then - and ours are so good, we're confident you'll want to try a new one every week. We have a marvellous selection to choose from, served with vegetables and potatoes.'

I get the impression the beef stew is supplied by the parent company (Brake Brothers?) for reheating and a pastry lid popped on locally. No need for a chef, then.

It appears to be the in thing to have a pie that is a bowl of meat and tato's with a lid on. Just check the feedback on Silversmiths.

For people like me it's not an issue i don't like pastry much.

The Mossbrook do usually show in the description that it is an open pie or a "pie" with a lid as my wife does eat them there regularly.

it depends on your expectations, the Mossbrook is part of the Vintage Inns chain of around 200 pubs and in turn the chain is owned by 'Mitchells & Butler leisure retail' pub company.

I guess the same menu will be in all 200 odd pubs all sourced from the same central supplier.

The food will be pleasant enough but not the same as an independent local pub with home cooked freshly prepared food.

gym_rat

Next time you go, order the Beef and merlot pie and report back.

I shall resume my patronage at Van Dykes up the road. I can recommend their Steak and Potato pie at £8.95.

if you read the link you posted, you`ll see the menu lists the pies that are served in suet and the ones that are served "open" for want of a better phrase

there are also pictures of both style of pie on the same page if you struggle!

I guess you more used to Pukka Pies from the chip shop.

I happened across The Mossbrook and spotted that Wednesday is Pie Day. I went down and ordered a Beef and merlot pie http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/themossbrookeckington/offer/pieday/

I got served with a dish of beef stew with a very thin puff pastry lid. It was rubbish, as were the chips.

When I was asked about my meal, I pointed out that it was not a pie. It was £9.95 of rubbish. I shall not be going back.

'You can't beat a great pie now and then - and ours are so good, we're confident you'll want to try a new one every week. We have a marvellous selection to choose from, served with vegetables and potatoes.'

I get the impression the beef stew is supplied by the parent company (Brake Brothers?) for reheating and a pastry lid popped on locally. No need for a chef, then.

Always been lovely when we have been there too !

Have you been there?

we usually call in every couple of weeks. Like the other poster said, the foods pleasant enough and its consistent unlike the the "hit or miss" food you get at independents in the area.

The Pebley is better.

---------- Post added 29-11-2012 at 17:41 ----------

I had the mixed grille (11.95)a few weeks ago,I am not a greedy person but the portion was tiny on the plus side it tasted ok.went to the De Rhodes at Barlborough had the carvery (3.70)well worth it......

two places aimed at different markets.

Archived