5% of British MSMs have HIV.

This must mean that 95% MSM groups are HIV free and probably think wall paper is passe.apparently 56% doughnuts contain jam,while 34% are iced and 35% cannot add up.

It means nothing of the sort. The report said 5% of MSMs had HIV. It there is a group of 20 people it means on average one of them will have HIV. If someone has 20 partners on average one of them will have HIV, and when an MSM couple have sex there is a 10% chance one of them has HIV, and a rather larger chance that both will afterwards. You must be from the 35% that can't add up.

Without reading the whole thread, whatever is an 'MSM'? Some product from Microsoft?

Your comment says it all about these people that just invent annacronyms for the sake of it. Why they cant say gay and bisexual men and have to resort to MSM I dont know.

Conrod's comment says it all about people who don't read the whole thread. Both of your questions have already been answered.

It's not nonsense. You see things in very black and white terms. I know someone who is now married with a kid but he used to be gay. Then he just announced he'd got engaged to a woman. So he's not gay now but he has had sex with other men in the past.

If only homosexuals were stopped from donating he'd be allowed to donate as he's no longer homosexual. But if the question were whether he's had sex with another man the answer would be yes and he'd be stopped from donating even though he's now heterosexual.

Ergo he must be bi-sexual

Conrod's comment says it all about people who don't read the whole thread. Both of your questions have already been answered.

No it hasnt been answered. The response given is that not all MSM class themselves as gay or bisexual.

If a bloke has sex with another bloke why arnt they either gay or bisexual?

On the other note I think its ridiculous that gay or bisexual men want to give blood why are the blood donor people not allowing them. Do they not know that straight people get aids too.

No it hasnt been answered. The response given is that not all MSM class themselves as gay or bisexual.

On the other note I think its ridiculous that gay or bisexual men want to give blood why are the blood donor people not allowing them. Do they not know that straight people get aids too.

Here are your's and Conrod's questions

Your comment says it all about these people that just invent annacronyms for the sake of it. Why they cant say gay and bisexual men and have to resort to MSM I dont know.

Without reading the whole thread, whatever is an 'MSM'? Some product from Microsoft?

Here are the answers to those questions.

Men who have sex with men (abbreviated as MSM, also known as males who have sex with males) are male persons who engage in sexual activity with members of the same sex, regardless of how they identify themselves; many men choose not to (or cannot for other reasons) accept sexual identities of homosexual or bisexual.[1] The term was created in the 1990s by epidemiologists in order to study the spread of disease among men who have sex with men, regardless of identity.[1]

MSM is often used in medical literature and social research to describe such men as a group for research studies without considering issues of self-identification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_who_have_sex_with_men

MSM is a term used by the blood transfusion services for a while now, - they weren't allowed to ask people if they were homosexual, as this could be seen as discriminatory...

So the question "Are you a man who has ever had sex with another man" was asked instead of "Are you homosexual or bi-sexual".....

Because telling someone they can't donate blood because of being homosexual is discriminatory - as it's on the basis of their sexuality....

But if the question "Are you a man who has ever had sex with another man" is asked, it's not discriminatory, as it's on the basis of their behaviour, not their sexuality....

Does that make any sense at all????!!!!!! :) :)

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

One case I heard of involved a regular platelet donor (he gave platelets every month or 6 weeks).

He had 1 "adventure" of having sex with a man and the next time he was tested, the viral DNA was found in his system, but not the body's response to the virus (which was the only test available until a few years ago)

He didn't like to admit his "adventure" when he filled in the donor questionnaire, but after he was found to be HIV positive, he was asked if there were any risk factors which he hadn't disclosed.

Any activity which increases the risk of blood being passed from person to person can be a highly efficient route for HIV transmission - which is why the question "Have you ever injected drugs" is asked, rather than "Are you a drug addict".......

A more recent case is of a young man who took a gap year before university about 3 years ago. He and his girlfriend both had tattoos done in Fiji. He gave blood a few months ago and was found to be HIV positive. His girlfriend is now being followed up as well..... :(

Regarding this question - "If a bloke has sex with another bloke why arnt they either gay or bisexual?" Think of the answers you might get in prison for example.

In answer to your question about the transfusion service - don't know I'm afraid.

The transfusion services have to work on a basis of relative risk.... If one group of people are shown to have a higher risk of disease transmission, then, yes, I'm afraid they will be unable to donate. Without asking some extremely intrusive questions about potential donors sex lives and habits, (which could put a lot of donors off!!!!) it makes sense to have more generic questions than specific ones!!!

Until last year, this was the case with MSM.... Last year thanks, in part, to studies like the one in the OP, it was shown that MSM who had'nt had sex in the previous 12 months were no more likely to pass on infection than groups who were allowed to donate.

This change has come about because of improvements in testing, (being able to test for the viral DNA instead of the body's response to the virus - antibodies to a virus can take several weeks to appear strong enough to be detected, during which time, an infection can be passed on), and epidemiological studies as more data has become available.

Of course, straight people can also get HIV, but the relative risk is less than that with MSM.

The Transfusion Guidelines (which rule every nook and cranny of my professional life!!!) are updated every 2 years - they take into account all the evidence available, from such studies, the technology available and Public Health Service data to decide what direction the service can take.

The transfusion services (and now hospital blood banks) are inspected by the Medicines Healthcare Regulatory Authority, they have the power to close down transfusion centres if they are found to breach the Guidelines - depending upon the severity of the transgressions!!!!!!! And I have known this to happen (but not to where I work!!!!)

And another point.......

It has been known for individuals to win compensation because of an infection from a blood donation, where there has been no test available to screen for that infection!!! So the service not only has to think of current testing but of other pathogens which are transmissible by transfusion and not tested for - eg vCJD....!!! That's why people who have been transfused since 1980 are not allowed to donate either.

I know these restrictions can seem petty to the groups excluded, but from lectures and seminars I've been to, which have highlighted transfusion practices in less developed countries, I would much rather have the restrictions we have and a potentially safer blood supply, than not.....!! :) :)

Archived