New boiler fitted, what temp do we need?

We've just had a combi boiler fitted yesterday, nil info from plumber regarding the timer. With it being really cold what's the average number to have the timer on :huh:

We are pensioners, so a bit slow in picking things up..just need a bit of info, the boiler is in the loft, the timer in the hall. As its a small 2 bed bungalow the hall is lovely and warm, but the living room,(pretty big and always colder) was cool last night, could we move the timer/ thermostat into the room, would that make a difference?...thanks :)

If it is portable, then obviously where you site it will make a difference. so if you want it to be say 20 degrees in the area where you sit, and that's the living room, then take the thermostat/timer in there and set it for 20 deg.

If it's not portable you'll have to play around with it a bit i.e see how hot it has to be in the hall for it to be comfortable in the living room.

one consideration is alternative heat sources

if you have the thermostat in your living room, but then put the gas fire on, the room will heat up and trigger the thermostat switching off the central heating, making the rest of the home cooler

if you have the thermostat in the kitchen but do a lot of cooking baking, the same could apply

in addition, if the hall is relatively small with a radiator in it, it will heat up more quickly than a larger room and switch off the heating before the other rooms reach the required temperature

I'd be tempted to put it in the room in which you spend most time

I once remember I used to work in a temperature controlled environment doing measurement and calibration. It was set to 68 Deg F...which in new money is 20 deg C. I always found that comfortable to work in, and as the measurements I was taking were very precise, it didn't cause too much expansion of metals. So I'd say 21 deg C (as another poster said) would be comfortably warm. But don't have it in the hall. In the lounge is best (where you mostly are)...even if it means other rooms get a bit too warm. You can always turn down the rads in the bedroom and such...I personally like my bedroom pretty cold, cos it's nicer when you're in bed.

Our living room is three and a half mtrs by five and a half mtrs, we've got one radiator approx six ft by two ft.

We've moved the thermostat off the wall in the hall as advised by an electrician this afternoon and folks on here, but it didn't seem warm as our old back boiler and gas fire.

We turned it up to 25 still a bit cool in the air, would installing another rad help as the room is quite big..:huh:

Archived