Bobs Cafe Middlewood Rd

bullerboY

Do any of you old lorry drivers on here remember this cafe on Middlewood Rd and have any stories or anecdotes of it.This was a popular transport cafe in the fifties and sixties and there were always a lot of trucks outside and was always full.Bob and his wife and I think sister ran it with help from their son Tony and daughter Gloria,Tony used to work as a driver For Askeys until he had an accident in which I believe he fell off the back of a wagon.This place used to be buzzing with life,I walked passed it the other day and it seemed its soul had disappeared.:(

Bobs Transport cafe was beetween Darwin rd and Marion rd 0pposite Waldot Service Stn where Gilders is now.it had a lot of trucks going to Manchester and Sammy Fox's and G R Stein's.

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 09:35 ----------

I am really surprised that the truckers on the Forum cannot remember it ,the place was very popular even with reps.

Where exactly was it?

the way you describe it reminded me of Kitsons cafe bottom of herries rd. Spent lots of time in Kitsons in the 50s/60s but dont remember Bobs Cafe

Was it the cafe on the right hand corner at the bottom of Marion Road as you descend the hill,we lived at number 10 for 4yrs in the late 60s early 70s.It was our first house purchase costing the princely sum of £1000,all the time we lived there I never went in the cafe once,I was too well fed at home I remember the lorries parking on the hill taking all the space up such a long time ago!.:roll::hihi:

Was it the cafe on the right hand corner at the bottom of Marion Road as you descend the hill...:
Yes, it seems that's where it was, and the property has had a varied history to judge from entries in Kelly's directories. In the 1905 directory it was "George Gilling, grocer" - and the Google Earth photo still shows his name above the door. By 1924 it was "George Gilling, blacksmith" so he had perhaps decided he could be a more successful blacksmith than a grocer. By 1941 it was "J. Sawtell, boot repairer" and by 1953 the property next door was "Vernon Milson, confectioner". Ten years later Vernon Milson had taken over the corner property as "M. Vernon, caterers" and (like his predecessor) had changed his next-door business from "confectioner" to "chimney sweep". Must have been a bit of an entrepreneur. The last directory I have is of 1973, when the café business was evidently still going strong..:)

Was it the cafe on the right hand corner at the bottom of Marion Road as you descend the hill,we lived at number 10 for 4yrs in the late 60s early 70s.It was our first house purchase costing the princely sum of £1000,all the time we lived there I never went in the cafe once,I was too well fed at home I remember the lorries parking on the hill taking all the space up such a long time ago!.:roll::hihi:
Spot on Lad,they did brilliant dinners and bacon sarnies,you missed out on that.:D

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 13:49 ----------

Yes, it seems that's where it was, and the property has had a varied history to judge from entries in Kelly's directories. In the 1905 directory it was "George Gilling, grocer" - and the Google Earth photo still shows his name above the door. By 1924 it was "George Gilling, blacksmith" so he had perhaps decided he could be a more successful blacksmith than a grocer. By 1941 it was "J. Sawtell, boot repairer" and by 1953 the property next door was "Vernon Milson, confectioner". Ten years later Vernon Milson had taken over the corner property as "M. Vernon, caterers" and (like his predecessor) had changed his next-door business from "confectioner" to "chimney sweep". Must have been a bit of an entrepreneur. The last directory I have is of 1973, when the café business was evidently still going strong..:)
There is still and old painted sign on the end of the building.:D

Hillsboro, with your extensive local knowledge do you have any info on Palins paper shop penistone rd? situated between Parkside rd and Winster rd. Its always intrigued me as i remember getting the papers from there during the 50s. I left Sheffield 40+ years ago but still read the Forum and note over the years your knowledge. I was in Sheffield a couple of months ago and noticed that there's still a feint sign on the outside wall "PALINS" I often wondered if the shop was linked to Michael Palin who is a Sheffielder.

Hi arrodbo - I remember the shop you mention, but the spelling of the name was evidently different from that of Michael Palin. Directories from the 1940s to the 1970s show "Mrs Harriet Payling, newsagent" at 969 Penistone Road.

Hi arrodbo - I remember the shop you mention, but the spelling of the name was evidently different from that of Michael Palin. Directories from the 1940s to the 1970s show "Mrs Harriet Payling, newsagent" at 969 Penistone Road.

Thankyou for taking time to answer

Archived