Danny Nightingale released on appeal

What makes you suspect that?

Did you not see the interview on the news?

All the time it has been reported in the media that the gun was packed into his gear by others after he left Iraq. However in his original police interview he tells police he had packed it himself with the intention of having it deactivated and once he had it back in UK forgot.

Guilty as charged. Got found out.

Got found out... this guy was SAS, asked to risk his life, high chance of death, asked to do things most people wouldn't dream was possible. He had an illegal pistol at his home, if I had been in the SAS in the past I would want a pistol in my home as well, who knows what this man was asked to do, who he was asked to deal with, whos radar he was on when in service, he has a family to protect.

Whoever was responsible for this decision should be ashamed of themselves. Hes been done on a technicality.

• 2 weeks later...
Got found out... this guy was SAS, asked to risk his life, high chance of death, asked to do things most people wouldn't dream was possible. He had an illegal pistol at his home, if I had been in the SAS in the past I would want a pistol in my home as well, who knows what this man was asked to do, who he was asked to deal with, whos radar he was on when in service, he has a family to protect.

Whoever was responsible for this decision should be ashamed of themselves. Hes been done on a technicality.

Not really a technicality. He lied and lied and got found out.

If he needed a gun at home due to the bold above then he's a bloody crap SAS soldier imo. They are called Special for a reason, they can get in and out of places before the enemy know what's happened.

Anyway, he knew he should not have had it, end of.

Nightingale broke the law, got caught and has been awarded a suspended sentence. Justice has been served.

Whether he kept the weapon as a 'keepsake' is irrelevant.

Justice has been served. - Fortunately, he didn't have to spend too long behind bars.

When my father -in-law (who had a somewhat 'non-English' name ;)) died, my (then) wife decided to deliver some of his personal armoury to the local police. Unfortunately, there were no parking slots outside the nick, so she had to walk about 50 yards carrying the toys.

She didn't go to jail for 'being in possession' (and we didn't hand everything in ... there was a .32 Colt pistol which didn't have a serial number. Not a .32 which had had the serial number removed; one which had never had a serial number. (Kept that.)

It had some 'interesting' ammunition ... gas shells (which would probably have made you do a bit more than 'cough' ;))

Her Dad had led an interesting life.

<...>When my father -in-law (who had a somewhat 'non-English' name ;)) died, my (then) wife decided to deliver some of his personal armoury to the local police.

<...>

Her Dad had led an interesting life.

Isn't it an interesting fact of life, that when a family member who has led an "interesting life" passes away, and who was in possession of such toys (in my original neck of the woods, and at least until the Cold War ended, in full 'quite a fair bit more than a strong suspicion'-like knowledge by the local authorities, with tacit consent then), the family rarely if ever delivers all the toys? :D

20 years on, Gendarmes still ask us about the 7.92 Mauser and some other 'bits', at least once a year...

...Soz, but Grandad took that secret to his grave.

Oh yes, Sir - we do keep ammo indeed. But that's for the Brno 8x57 hunting rifle that you see there, fully reg'd and legal ;)

Archived