Any smart electricians out there - a question..

Voltage isn't current though - when you say you have 50V in the neutral where are you connecting your meter? Do you mean you have 50V difference between the neutral and earth? What sort of meter are you using to look for this?

My friend has (what I think is called) a voltage meter for measuring voltage. When I talk about 50 volts, this is what is on the display when we connect it to the live and neutral. The normal voltage yesterday was 248v

You can probably tell I'm not an electrician!

OK, in that case you are measuring the voltage drop across the lightbulb. I'm somewhat surprised that you cannot measure the full voltage drop across an incandescent bulb - you would expect the full voltage to appear if that were in circuit and switched on.

Unless you have a decent meter you will potentially get odd things happening with a CFL as these run a switchmode converter inside and you get odd things happening as they are not always a simple resistive load, they have reactance as well.

I'd like further info, but if you are not an electrician I'd be loathe to ask it as a live sircuit is not the palce to go poking about with a ameter set to the wrong mode for example. If you are really worried then I'd get a sparky in to have a look.

OK, in that case you are measuring the voltage drop across the lightbulb. I'm somewhat surprised that you cannot measure the full voltage drop across an incandescent bulb - you would expect the full voltage to appear if that were in circuit and switched on.

Yes, it's very strange

Unless you have a decent meter you will potentially get odd things happening with a CFL as these run a switchmode converter inside and you get odd things happening as they are not always a simple resistive load, they have reactance as well.

It was a proper electricians meter we were using which is perfectly accurate from what I have seen

I'd like further info, but if you are not an electrician I'd be loathe to ask it as a live sircuit is not the palce to go poking about with a ameter set to the wrong mode for example. If you are really worried then I'd get a sparky in to have a look.

By all means ask me questions - I might have the answer. I'm not daft enough

though to start putting my fingers into the fuse box!

Archived