Parkgate traffic congestion

Is it just me or is the traffic around Parkgate getting worse every time I pass through. Tonight at half 4 it took us over 45 minutes to get from Rawmarsh Hill down to St. Ann's Roundabout on the A633 through the centre of Parkgate. Isn't it about time something was done to combat this problem that seems to have been ongoing for over 10 years with little resolution.

Plenty of scope to extend and widen Rotherham Road, but there is the railway bridge that could be seen as the problem. Failing that what about an alternative entrance to the Parkgate Retail World shopping centre via Beale Way in the way of a new bridge over the railway line and provide an access to the side of Morrisons/Matalan.

Or even traffic signals on the Parkgate roundabout at the junction of the A633/A6123?

Rotherham Road on streetview

Beale Way on google maps

It's mix of the railway bridge limiting the road to a single lane each direction and the traffic in and out of Retail World at that spot, which gets dreadful at this time of year. Of course, this is not helped by the planners approving a supermarket and an ever increasing range of shops coming in and out by only one access route, but then that's planners for you.

You can usually get where you need to go much faster by either going up through Greasborough and back down further along or down to Mushroom roundabout and that way. Unless you actually need to be in the middle of it I'd just find another way. Sad, I know, when there could be other things that could change to improve access to the area, but the changes aren't within my power or yours.

I agree that something needs to be done. I work on the retail parkand it's a pain in the backside trying to get into work from town centre. Often I'm stopped or slowed to a crawl as far back as the leisure centre near St Ann's & it's not just at rush hour that it's an issue. It's a case of pot luck at any time of day. Mostly it's because of the volume of traffic coming from Aldwarke Lane via Great Eastern Way.

It's only since that link road was put in that the issue started, the link road was to alleviate pressure on fitzwilliam road but rather than easing it, it just moved it.

Yes I agree with you Medusa, it is a complete nightmare and they are even going to be fuelling it further by allowing another retail park along Rotherham Road. See this for info.

I'll take your suggestion onboard about passing through Greasbrough, could even turn off at Parkgate where the Travellers Pub is and travel down Cinder Bridge Road as I know both Mangham Road and Aldwarke Lane can get pretty busy around tea time. Just wasn't expecting the traffic to be as bad as it is in November. Its usually mid-December during the week it gets exceptionally busy or most days on Saturdays. But that's what you get when you build the 4th largest retail park in the country with just a single carriageway and access road to get in and out of...

Resident, that access link you're referring to (Aldwarke Lane) has always been open, it was just a toll road back in the 80s/90s. Used to belong to British Steel but has since passed to Rotherham Council and hence anyone can use it. I see what you're saying though but it wouldn't have helped matters, infact it could have made them worse with all this traffic coming from St. Ann's Road instead?

Something needs to be done, that's for sure!

---------- Post added 29-11-2012 at 20:05 ----------

Regarding the Trade World bit above, this plan (PDF) shows and details the scheme a lot more, showing the minor improvements to Rotherham Road. Document.

At least on the plus side there will be a dedicated filter lane for right turning vehicles, so it shouldn't back up traffic too much.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or is the traffic around Parkgate getting worse every time I pass through. Tonight at half 4 it took us over 45 minutes to get from Rawmarsh Hill down to St. Ann's Roundabout on the A633 through the centre of Parkgate. Isn't it about time something was done to combat this problem that seems to have been ongoing for over 10 years with little resolution.

Plenty of scope to extend and widen Rotherham Road, but there is the railway bridge that could be seen as the problem. Failing that what about an alternative entrance to the Parkgate Retail World shopping centre via Beale Way in the way of a new bridge over the railway line and provide an access to the side of Morrisons/Matalan.

Or even traffic signals on the Parkgate roundabout at the junction of the A633/A6123?

Rotherham Road on streetview

Beale Way on google maps

Retail world has always been the same, although this year the traffic doesn't seem to have been so bad, when contrasted to previous years. What realistically can the council do to combat this traffic problem?

Archived