UKIP, BNP & RESPECT all get more votes than coalition combined in Rotherham

Neither the Tories or the Liberals have been in power in Rotherham. What have Labour done for the town in all the time they've been in power? Kept people poor and reliant on benefits? No different to Liverpool, Glasgow or any other Labour stronghold.

Even though the Tories have never had any power in Liverpool they've certainly done a lot over the years. They pumped a lot of money into the area after Toxteth, the docks are thriving, the 25 year Mersey cleanup plan was a success and they facilitated the demand for a mayor.

Glasgow and Liverpool also have wonderful revitalised waterfronts and popular tourist and conference venues.

Why would they try to make life better for those that don't vote for them,

What did labour do that made life better for their voters whilst they were in power, can't be that much as they were voted out.

Hey, I'd be the first to admit Labour has totally lost its way. All it has going for it is a kind of track record of sticking up for workers in the past. And that is why it picks up votes in some places.

My point is more this and it's about the current party in power. The party in power has the means to do stuff and make statements about what it will do for the lives of people in places like Rotherham. The approach seems to be quite negative at the moment. They have the means to chnage that. They're not changing it. It's part of why they are losing votes.

UKIP want out of the EU and lower immigration which plays well in places like Rotherham, but the vast majority of people in Rotherham would be hugely out of pocket if UKIP got in.

They want a flat rate income tax which in practice is a massive cut for the rich and a massive hike for the poor.

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 14:32 ----------

Hey, I'd be the first to admit Labour has totally lost its way. All it has going for it is a kind of track record of sticking up for workers in the past. And that is why it picks up votes in some places.

This is true. However I was thinking the other day how much poorer I became under Labour as I am somebody who works but on fairly low wages, they abolished the 10p tax band, my husband earns a lot less because he is in construction and has been undercut by people from abroad.

It's difficult because that traditional workers party has gone and nothing has filled the gap to replace it, I don't really know who to vote for.

UKIP want out of the EU and lower immigration which plays well in places like Rotherham, but the vast majority of people in Rotherham would be hugely out of pocket if UKIP got in.

They want a flat rate income tax which in practice is a massive cut for the rich and a massive hike for the poor.

---------- Post added 30-11-2012 at 14:32 ----------

This is true. However I was thinking the other day how much poorer I became under Labour as I am somebody who works but on fairly low wages, they abolished the 10p tax band, my husband earns a lot less because he is in construction and has been undercut by people from abroad.

It's difficult because that traditional workers party has gone and nothing has filled the gap to replace it, I don't really know who to vote for.

It has hit some people harder than others. I agree about the immigration. It used to be that people who found their industries going downhill could retrain in another trade - plumbing etc... That has been taken away and it has also taken apprentice opportunities away for youngsters. As for construction we've seen the house building industry shrink anyway.

To sum up I'd describe the Labour years as allowing people to get into huge debt while increasing the cost of living while withdrawing from many people the opportunities (because of the dumbing down of the workforce, import of labour, off-shoring of jobs) that would allow them to meet debt obligations or meet the cost of living. Oh god, I'm starting to sound like a UKIP supporter.

It has hit some people harder than others. I agree about the immigration. It used to be that people who found their industries going downhill could retrain in another trade - plumbing etc... That has been taken away and it has also taken apprentice opportunities away for youngsters. As for construction we've seen the house building industry shrink anyway.

To sum up I'd describe the Labour years as allowing people to get into huge debt while increasing the cost of living while withdrawing from many people the opportunities (because of the dumbing down of the workforce, import of labour, off-shoring of jobs) that would allow them to meet debt obligations or meet the cost of living. Oh god, I'm starting to sound like a UKIP supporter.

How do you think the workforce has been dumbed down?

My point is more this and it's about the current party in power. The party in power has the means to do stuff and make statements about what it will do for the lives of people in places like Rotherham. The approach seems to be quite negative at the moment. They have the means to chnage that. They're not changing it. It's part of why they are losing votes.

Like all parties that come to power they soon forget about those that put them there, don't give them a chance to get their feet under the table,

if they are not performing how they should get them out at the next election

the ones who vote blindly for the same old parties because they always have should hang their heads in shame.

How do you think the workforce has been dumbed down?

Sorry, maybe I used the wrong language but what I mean is that people are leaving school and uni with good qualifications and walking straight into low-skilled work, if they get work at all. What I meant was more about deadening of aspirations. This isn't new because as opportunity was stripped away by various processes under Labour the opportunities began to melt away. Along with housing policy, youth employment policy was IMO one of Labour's greatest failings. It sticks in my craw to see them calling other parties on it.

Yes I agree. But like you I don't think UKIP are a viable alternative. I think they would probably like to have a vast impoverished workforce subjugated to the interests of big business.

I honestly don't think most of the people who vote for them really know what their policies are about anything other than immigration and getting out of Europe. It's a protest vote against that but I don't think for a minute they would really want them to get in if they knew what their policies for everything else are.

If you are an ordinary person and don't agree with Labour's policies on those you are left with a choice of voting for people who will economically shafting you or nobody at all.

Yes I agree. But like you I don't think UKIP are a viable alternative. I think they would probably like to have a vast impoverished workforce subjugated to the interests of big business.

I honestly don't think most of the people who vote for them really know what their policies are about anything other than immigration and getting out of Europe. It's a protest vote against that but I don't think for a minute they would really want them to get in if they knew what their policies for everything else are.

If you are an ordinary person and don't agree with Labour's policies on those you are left with a choice of voting for people who will economically shafting you or nobody at all.

All parties have lots of policies...do they all get enacted (if that's the right word)? Unless there's a comfortable majority in parliament I doubt they do..

Archived