No fault car crash? so who pays?

Skink

My sister in law was in a car crash yesterday - a drunk fell into the road in front of her and she swerved into an other car to avoiding killing the bloke

her insurance are saying it was her fault (and therefore refused to give her the courtesy car on her policy) but thay are also saying she will have to pay her excess and loose her no claims as there is no other party for them to claim off

seems a bit unfair to me - any one got any suggestions? Or can they really do this?

the problem is she did nothing wrong, the drunk caused the accident

now she cant get to work

now she doesnt have a car - it looks like a write off

now she has to borrow money to pay for all of this

and it want her fault!

put yourself in her shoes, driving home from work someone causes a crash and then you have to pay hundreds of pounds out

the problem is she did nothing wrong, the drunk caused the accident

now she cant get to work

now she doesnt have a car - it looks like a write off

now she has to borrow money to pay for all of this

and it want her fault!

put yourself in her shoes, driving home from work someone causes a crash and then you have to pay hundreds of pounds out

But she swerved and hit another car, they'll obviously say it was her fault and she should have performed an emergency stop blah blah blah

Since shes hit the other car too, if hers is a write off I imagine theirs is too? Its crap but they can't exactly go chasing the drunk and ask him to pay for new cars for both parties can they?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

But she swerved and hit another car, they'll obviously say it was her fault and she should have performed an emergency stop blah blah blah

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

This is correct. She is at fault in the eyes of the law, she should have slammed on the brakes and hit him. That's the procedure taught in driving lessons as swerving (which I know is instinctual) puts others at risk.

Of course then the drunk would have been banging an injury claim in and to avoid a court case her insurance would have paid out.

This is correct. She is at fault in the eyes of the law, she should have slammed on the brakes and hit him. That's the procedure taught in driving lessons as swerving (which I know is instinctual) puts others at risk.

Of course then the drunk would have been banging an injury claim in and to avoid a court case her insurance would have paid out.

Wouldn't being drunk have affected the success of any such claim? Or are you absolved of all fault in this condition..?

Archived