What's the LEAST appreciated Christmas present you ever had?

I know there are several threads on Christmas related topics, which made me think of the 'classic' story told in my family.

I had a rather posh aunt (god bless her). She always bought everyone in the family something 'quite' nice. One year she gave my mother a wrapped box (looked for all the world like a shoe box). Mom was quite pleased, as she assumed it would be a nice pair of slippers, which she did want.

Eagerly on Christmas morning she tore the paper off the present to find, yes indeed it was a shoe box. When she opened the lid, what did she find? Two dusters, one tin of furniture polish, one plain teatowel and a bottle of washing up liquid!!!...Had my auntie been there, I'm pretty sure mom would have thrown it at her!

So...What's the most unappreciated, or inappropriate thing you've ever been given at Christmas or birthday.

One Christmas my parents gave me a bottle of Southern Comfort, obviously under the mistaken impression that I liked it. It stayed in the kitchen, untouched and gathering dust, until the following Christmas when they presented me with another bottle because "we know you love it because there's always a bottle in your kitchen". I started giving it away after that but they kept buying it for several more years.

One Christmas my parents gave me a bottle of Southern Comfort, obviously under the mistaken impression that I liked it. It stayed in the kitchen, untouched and gathering dust, until the following Christmas when they presented me with another bottle because "we know you love it because there's always a bottle in your kitchen". I started giving it away after that but they kept buying it for several more years.

I like that one...very funny!

Oh, and a tip for you blokes out there...never...ever...Not ever buy a deep fat fryer for your missus....or you're likely to end up wearing it!.

I made that mistake ONCE!

See, I like practical stuff like that. I once asked for an iron :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

See, I like practical stuff like that. I once asked for an iron :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You must be an exception to the rule Leah. :confused:

I once made the mistake of asking for a school uniform for my birthday (as I'd started a new school)...how stupid was that?...I had to have one anyway!!! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived