Milking the poor to make the rich.. richer.

And so people who are born lucky? enough to have a private education at say a Public school are not more likely to have the the better opportunities in life.
Well, I suppose some people might get pleasure blaming their own plight on the good fortune of a few others - jealousy's a strong emotive driver - but on the whole I think it's better to get on and make something of your own life than to dwell on what others have.

And what if people in the public sector "achieve" high positions and salaries that definately don't warrant it.............and there are many!

I can second that having worked in the public sector and seen people earning in excess of £45,000pa for doing literally nothing all day every day.

Why not buy some land near meadowhall Chem1st if you can see that the price is going to rise because a large, noisy train station is going to be built...

I don't want to profit from land speculation. I would rather we had a system where people were rewarded for hard work, and unearned increases in land values were taxed.

Instead of getting rich quick through speculation, people should get rich through honest graft, they should be entitled to the fruits of their labours. It is very sad to think that one could become rich through speculation or work hard and be poor.

Well, I suppose some people might get pleasure blaming their own plight on the good fortune of a few others - jealousy's a strong emotive driver - but on the whole I think it's better to get on and make something of your own life than to dwell on what others have.

Change the record.

I don't want to profit from land speculation. I would rather we had a system where people were rewarded for hard work, and unearned increases in land values were taxed.

Instead of getting rich quick through speculation, people should get rich through honest graft, they should be entitled to the fruits of their labours. It is very sad to think that one could become rich through speculation or work hard and be poor.

why does everyone have to become rich??.. if that was the case who would be the poor?..

isn't it much better if everyone had at least the basics of subsistence, (food,heating, clothes, clean water, a roof over your head.)

even these basics are sadly lacking in our own country.

don't they say charity begins at home?

why are other counties getting millions in relief when we citizens of the UK are really struggling with theses basic needs at home?.

i will tell you why, politics, its like the press regulations now, the politicians cant lecture other less free countries if these proposals go through.

lets face it the welfare system is in crisis, and i mean all of it not just the unemployed section of it.

the working man on a low wage is being driven to the point of no return, why work for mere peanuts when you can claim just as much, ()in fact you may be better off financally) if you threw in the towel.

Isn't that a basic rule of success and an attribute of many a great man, being able to see opportunity where others could not? Theres no honour in hard work for the sake of it.

True, but (correct me if I'm wrong) we're talking about incentivising the productive use of land and property. This is good for everyone in the long term.

We surely don't want to promote a system whereby speculating over and sitting on idle land is ever more lucrative than actually using the land productively. Land is only an exception to the liberty of a free market because of the "tragedy of the commons" scenario - i.e. it is in ALL our long term economic interests to ensure land, as an increasingly scarce commodity, is used to its fullest potential.

Chem is ultimately talking about changing what ownership means and the right to do with what we own. If one is to prosper, you have to be able to leverage what you own. Land and property offer an extremely effective and profitable opportunity to do this. Greed will always triumph and rightly so, otherwise nothing GREAT, nothing extraordinary would ever be achieved, there would be no incentive. Man wouldn't progress.

You're preaching to the converted on the often overlooked "virtues of greed".

I think there should be a clearer distinction between unimproved (often called idle) land and land upon which the owner has staked their labour and/or productive capital and/or their livelihood . The reason is that land is among the most fundamental of all needs. In the interests of equality of opportunity (not outcome - this is a libertarian, not a communist position), land must be available to all, as a means to labour and life.

Now, while I would not advocate the outright theft of land from those who already own it, I would certainly advocate a tax that would disincentivise the ownership unimproved land for the sole purpose of speculation. LVT is one such tax, with various proposed implementations, from economists right across the political spectrum, that we ought to consider.

Again, land is only an exception to the laws of the free market because it is so fundamental in determining the opportunity of the individual. Without such opportunity, the notion of a free market is merely a mockery, as it is today due to its mis-definition and mis-application.

I recognise the distinction between personal property and private property and I think this distinction ought to be recognised in law also.

Edited by epiphany