Are UKIP the new Tory party of the North?

Are UKIP the new Tory party of the north?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are UKIP the new Tory party of the north?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Strange how a thread started by the No1 resident Labourite about UKIP taking Tory votes has been turned into a Labourite attack on UKIP policy. Seems to me that as usual the resident Labourites are actually the ones who are concerned about UKIP getting an increase in voters :suspect:

Who are the resident Labourites?

Strange how a thread started by the No1 resident Labourite about UKIP taking Tory votes has been turned into a Labourite attack on UKIP policy. Seems to me that as usual the resident Labourites are actually the ones who are concerned about UKIP getting an increase in voters :suspect:

Awwww what's up M W worried that you might end up backing another right-wing dead duck!

Awwww what's up M W worried that you might end up backing another right-wing dead duck!

He's just trying to steer the thread away from a critcal analysis of UKIP's claim to be Libertarian.

It won't work though, because we all know that they aren't. Even the local candidate:D

He's just trying to steer the thread away from a critcal analysis of UKIP's claim to be Libertarian.

It won't work though, because we all know that they aren't. Even the local candidate:D

Strange that no-one has stepped up to the plate and attempted to tackle it from a UKIP point of view isn't it?

Strange that no-one has stepped up to the plate and attempted to tackle it from a UKIP point of view isn't it?

From Wikipedia:

There is no consensus on the precise definition of libertarianism.

Even if it's elusive to UKIP supporters like myself, whatever it is, Farage obviously thinks UKIP is it. As a UKIP supporter I'm not going to argue what is and isn't "Libertarian" when academics can't even agree and have little subject knowledge of the particular political philosophy myself. I can only assume Farage knows more about Libertarianism that the average UKIP supporter like myself so I'd rather leave it to him to explain the UKIP position.

Me ? Worried ?

Not one bit my dear Labour loving lefty, you on the other hand clearly are :D

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 10:20 ----------

Yeah I was discussing this libertarian issue with some of the lads at work a few days ago, real vote clincher eh :D

Me ? Worried ?

Not one bit my dear Labour loving lefty, you on the other hand clearly are :D

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 10:20 ----------

Yeah I was discussing this libertarian issue with some of the lads at work a few days ago, real vote clincher eh :D

I think the more working class people realise that UKIP have absolutely nothing to offer them, less-so than even the Tories, their bubble will be well and truly pricked. If they continue to split the more affluent Tory vote then all the better, it will just increase Labours majority at the next GE.

From Wikipedia:

Even if it's elusive to UKIP supporters like myself, whatever it is, Farage obviously thinks UKIP is it.

Elusive? Lots of things are elusive to UKIP and its supporters. An understanding of reality for one. Or did you mean exclusive?

"Libertarianism is the group of political philosophies which advocate minimizing coercion and emphasize freedom, liberty, and voluntary association. Libertarians generally advocate a society with significantly less government compared to most present day societies".

That's the Wikipedia quote before the one you mentioned. I can't see how opposing abortion and gay marriage is to "emphasize freedom, liberty, and voluntary association". On the other hand Ousetunes has been on here saying it's alright to go through traffic lights at red so they seem to pick and choose what laws are needed.

UKIP is relatively right-wing authoritarian. It attracts people like Steve Moxon and Geoffrey Clark. Compulsory abortion for disabled children and excuses for a Norwegian mass murderer. Or maybe under a UKIP government we'll all have the right to abort and shoot who we want.

I think the more working class people realise that UKIP have absolutely nothing to offer them, less-so than even the Tories, their bubble will be well and truly pricked. If they continue to split the more affluent Tory vote then all the better, it will just increase Labours majority at the next GE.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2012/12/17/perilous-politics-immigration/

UKIP are more in tune with public opinion than any of the main parties on immigration. Take a look at the link above from 17/12/2012.

• More than two thirds think immigration over the last decade has been bad for Britain. Only 11% think it's been a good thing.
  • 80% support the idea of reducing immigration to tens of thousands, only 9% oppose it.
  • More than two thirds think Britain is losing it's own culture (May 2011)
  • Nearly three quarters think Britain is already overcrowded (May 2011)
  • More than two thirds want Net Immigration reduced to zero (Jan 2012)

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2012/12/17/perilous-politics-immigration/

UKIP are more in tune with public opinion than any of the main parties on immigration. Take a look at the link above from 17/12/2012.

• More than two thirds think immigration over the last decade has been bad for Britain. Only 11% think it's been a good thing.
  • 80% support the idea of reducing immigration to tens of thousands, only 9% oppose it.
  • More than two thirds think Britain is losing it's own culture (May 2011)
  • Nearly three quarters think Britain is already overcrowded (May 2011)
  • More than two thirds want Net Immigration reduced to zero (Jan 2012)

You can accuse UKIP of many things when it comes to immigration policy, but you could never accuse them of being Libertarian on that issue. Quite the opposite in fact.

Archived