Are UKIP the new Tory party of the North?

Are UKIP the new Tory party of the north?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are UKIP the new Tory party of the north?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

If Farage pushes the get out of Europe idea and the reduction of "incommers" into the Country, it's hard to see how UKIP can fail to prosper. Doubtful they will ever run the Country, but they may replace the lib/dems as the third party.

Tory/UKIP sounds ok to me after the next election.

Angel.

Each to their own but in what ways do you think that would be good for the country? What would change? Do you think a Tory/Ukip coalition would take us out of Europe?

If Farage pushes the get out of Europe idea and the reduction of "incommers" into the Country, it's hard to see how UKIP can fail to prosper. Doubtful they will ever run the Country, but they may replace the lib/dems as the third party.

Tory/UKIP sounds ok to me after the next election.

Angel.

Therein lies the problem with single issue parties. UKIP pledges to get us out of Europe and reduce immigration, then what? Once they've achieved these goals they just become another right wing party with racist undertones.

Whenever I see that picture I find myself yearning for Scottish independence.

Yes if the Conservatives could hold power for longer it would give them the time to change places like Rotherham into places in which people had the drive to succeed instead of waiting in line for their next hand out.:)

I know of 7 old Lab supporters who know reckon they would go UKIP at the next election, i only know of 2 previous conservative supporters. For the record, i live in a rural area.

Just saying. :)

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 20:48 ----------

The party that offers the electorate the right to referendums and recall by petition as in Switzerland, as well as PR, they would probably have a huge lead over all other parties.

Even offering referendums and recall by petition would make them a party that is likely to hold the balance of power in the next election.

Can anyone see at the moment, anything other than another coalition govt next time round? The big question is which parties will be in that coalition.

Given that Cameron has just gifted the press an alternative to Leveson, i expect the press (most of them) will assist him in trying to destroy the competition, ie nail Lab on its previous dire time in Govt. The press have never really destroyed Brown et al (thats you Balls) for the banking crisis and id be shocked if the blue papers didnt do a number of them at election time.

Its still a long time before the election and i still wouldnt rule out Independent MPs or a new party. Floating voters must be at the biggest percentage ever.

I know of 7 old Lab supporters who know reckon they would go UKIP at the next election, i only know of 2 previous conservative supporters. For the record, i live in a rural area.

Just saying. :)

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 20:48 ----------

The party that offers the electorate the right to referendums and recall by petition as in Switzerland, as well as PR, they would probably have a huge lead over all other parties.

Even offering referendums and recall by petition would make them a party that is likely to hold the balance of power in the next election.

Can anyone see at the moment, anything other than another coalition govt next time round? The big question is which parties will be in that coalition.

Given that Cameron has just gifted the press an alternative to Leveson, i expect the press (most of them) will assist him in trying to destroy the competition, ie nail Lab on its previous dire time in Govt. The press have never really destroyed Brown et al (thats you Balls) for the banking crisis and id be shocked if the blue papers didnt do a number of them at election time.

Its still a long time before the election and i still wouldnt rule out Independent MPs or a new party. Floating voters must be at the biggest percentage ever.

I think the public would see straight through that ruse. The public have lost trust in the media and they've lost trust in politicians - the sight of the two acting in common self interest to try and nobble an election is not going to play out well IMO.

Totally agree about independents and minor parties. That is maybe where Ukip are going to benefit - their message is pretty clear and they have minimal baggage with relation to the media and other sordid goings on. The likes of the Greens will do well too. Whether it will translates into that many seats is another thing and like others said the map will still be mostly red and blue after 2015.

I think the public would see straight through that ruse. The public have lost trust in the media and they've lost trust in politicians - the sight of the two acting in common self interest to try and nobble an election is not going to play out well IMO.

Totally agree about independents and minor parties. That is maybe where Ukip are going to benefit - their message is pretty clear and they have minimal baggage with relation to the media and other sordid goings on. The likes of the Greens will do well too. Whether it will translates into that many seats is another thing and like others said the map will still be mostly red and blue after 2015.

I really really want to believe the public will see through the ruse or that the media become less significant, however, look how many years we have been voting in Lab/Lib/Con.

Heres to hope.

I think some people are getting a bit carried away with regard to UKIP.

Next year's county council elections will be a better test of their ability to break through then a by-election where they have been greatly assisted by a daft decision from Rotherham social services.

Archived