Are UKIP the new Tory party of the North?

Are UKIP the new Tory party of the north?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are UKIP the new Tory party of the north?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

My bold - you're presenting this as fact to back up you're own preconceived ideas of what constitutes UKIP members. The article itself is based on a blog entry from Lord Ashcroft, so it's nothing more than one persons opinion, which you've neatly seized upon and presented as fact.

Lord Ashcroft is entitled to his views; that's how democracy works, you know- you need not agree with him!

Democracy is wonderful when you don't have to agree with Ashcroft. However it's his research into UKIP members' views that is the main point of the article rather than his own views.

But if it's UKIP members' views you want here are some belonging to Geffrey Clark, UKIP candidate in Kent, who is in a spot of bother for calling for disabled women to have forced abortions. Now a local UKIP member was on here recently saying how opposed he was to abortion so no doubt he'll be condemning Clark immediately.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend_messenger/news/2012/december/18/geoffrey_clark.aspx

Democracy is wonderful when you don't have to agree with Ashcroft. However it's his research into UKIP members' views that is the main point of the article rather than his own views.

"All of these examples, real and imagined, were mentioned in focus groups by UKIP voters and considerers to make the point that the mainstream political parties are so in thrall to the prevailing culture of political correctness that they have ceased to represent the silent majority."

My bold, UKIP voters, not UKIP members. And we still only have the word of Lord Ashcroft on this.

So a politician has at least some views that differ from one's own; isn't that true of any party?

There are surely at least some UKIP views from which I dissent.

So you accept any views just because they're different? You must have got on great with Steve Moxon.

My bold, UKIP voters, not UKIP members.

My error. I'm sure the views of UKIP members in no way reflect those of UKIP voters.

No, but I accept the entitlement of anyone to hold views differing from mine. Again: that's democracy.

So surely you do, too?

It's not just anyone though, is it? It's a UKIP candidate talking about forced abortion and euthanasia. I think there was a party in 1930s Germany that did that.

There's one in China right now, too. They're both wrong; so?

And so is Clark, according to UKIP themselves;

"Mr Clarke's views were condemned by Ukip today. A spokesman said he "will not be standing for us in future and we're launching an investigation".

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9753667/Ukip-candidate-Geoffrey-Clarke-condemned-over-compulsory-abortion-views.html

Well done for standing by someone UKIP had already disowned.

Archived