Mittens?? why??

You should put your mittens on over your gloves and just take them off to pick the poo up.

Doesn't work unfortunately, because between throwing balls for the hound, putting her lead on and off and trying to manage all of that with a gammy arm and a walking stick, I just run out of hands to do it all.

I generally have a much lower technology alternative, which is to fold down the protective bits on the end of the sleeves on my NATO issue field jacket and then retreat my arms further up my sleeves.

More to the point: fingerless gloves - why?

Fingerless gloves are brilliant, you don't have to take them off to use your fingers and they're surprisingly cosy. They're my glove of choice and have been for many years. I'm having difficulty finding proper fingerless gloves this year, they all seem to have thumbs which is WRONG.

All your fingers snuggled up together will stay warmer than being individually rapped, same principle applies to sleeping bags they don’t have two legs because its warmer to have your legs together in one bag.:)

fingers touching together=more skin surface area=warmer hands. Thats why I wear these on the motorbike when the weather gets cold. Twice as warm as standard 4 finger gloves, without limiting mobility too much

Mostly right. More to the point, though, the mittens have less external surface area than the gloves so there is less heat loss.

I quite like the fold back fingerless mittens. They're like fingerless gloves and mittens in one. You can just slip the mitten bit off your fingers if you need to use them for anything, meaning you don't have to take your gloves off and have to juggle with them/end up losing them.

I quite like the fold back fingerless mittens. They're like fingerless gloves and mittens in one. You can just slip the mitten bit off your fingers if you need to use them for anything, meaning you don't have to take your gloves off and have to juggle with them/end up losing them.

Ah yes, shooter's mitts. I tried some of those too, but couldn't find any that were in a water repellent fabric, leaving them offering very little in insulation once wet during a dog walk. They're OK as long as you aren't going to get wet or go somewhere with a really cold breeze.