When were we invloved in combat in Syria?

In a public statement about Sgt Danny Nightingale his formed CO Lt Col Williams made reference to various combat operations he had been involved in including Lebanon and Syria. During the last Lebanon war we had overt forces evacuating Britons so you'd expect the SAS to be in theater helping those in trickier areas get to the evacuation points.

I can't remember any occasion the fits with the period of Sgt Nightingales service prior to his arrest (and now thankful release) in which the government has said we have forces involved in combat operations in Syria. Was there an earlier combat involvement in the last 11 years in Syria which is now public knowledge or does this refer to the current civil war?

Might be something to do with this - British flotillas prepared for Syria evacuation.

That would make sense, but the RN never showed up in Latakia or Tartus. I've not even heard of any charter flights being organised. We're way past the point of Syria being safe in any stretch of the imagination so any evacuation, even an SAS only one which would be unprecedented, must have been completed by now.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 19:52 ----------

I'm sure there are occasions in which our forces are involved in other countries without the public being informed, maybe Lt Col Williams slipped up by telling us.

I seriously doubt anyone who has lived with the strictest of strict operational security requirements for his entire professional life would "slip up" in front of the media in such a manner. Hence my question about have we ever confirmed ops in Syria in the last 11 years.

That would make sense, but the RN never showed up in Latakia or Tartus. I've not even heard of any charter flights being organised. We're way past the point of Syria being safe in any stretch of the imagination so any evacuation, even an SAS only one which would be unprecedented, must have been completed by now.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 19:52 ----------

I seriously doubt anyone who has lived with the strictest of strict operational security requirements for his entire professional life would "slip up" in front of the media in such a manner. Hence my question about have we ever confirmed ops in Syria in the last 11 years.

Saturday, Dec 01 2012

Two SAS soldiers on a secret mission were captured by Syrian authorities after straying across the border from Iraq, it emerged yesterday.

Question is did they stray over the border or have they been active in Syria for some time.

June 4, 2012

SAS and other NATO Special Forces Reported in Syria.

Saturday, Dec 01 2012

Two SAS soldiers on a secret mission were captured by Syrian authorities after straying across the border from Iraq, it emerged yesterday.

Question is did they stray over the border or have they been active in Syria for some time.

That is very likely the one I'd say. Thanks for the find. :)

That's hizb'allah drivel and even if it was true wouldn't be confirmed by a SAS CO in a million years.

Archived