Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Thanks again.

We have a possible small drip leak (takes days to show) from the old radiator in the hallway. I thought it too small to explain this issue. Just a few drops over a week. The new pipework put in for the boiler looks solid and the boiler itself does too.

I'm thinking to get a quote to replace some or more of the radiators and get double dose of leak sealer. Don't really want to start tearing up floorboards but the problem is infuriating.

The radiator leak would explain it,it does not take a lot for the boiler to lose pressure.

The radiator leak would explain it,it does not take a lot for the boiler to lose pressure.

Right. Sounds reasonable.

There's an old looking thermostat/temperature control branded Wickes on one end of the radiator. Just tried turning it on and off a couple of times and got several drips out of it by doing so. Looks like we have a prime suspect.

I'd try replacing it myself, but I have no idea how to keep from flooding the place when I do. I'm thinking of getting the installer to do it when I get him over for a service.

Hi,

I've had a Vaillant boiler for a few years which after its warranty expired, I got it covered with Homeserve that gave me an annual service (that I've never got incidentally) but to my chagrin, I've realised my boiler is covered with Home Emergency with Halifax. However, reading the fine print it suggests regular maintenance and I was wondering if anyone can signpost to a company that might be able to do this? My boiler has had no issues but just want piece of mind if it does that my home insurance won't refuse to look at it without maintenance information. I don't think Homeserve offer an boiler service agreement on its own sadly.

Hi,

I've had a Vaillant boiler for a few years which after its warranty expired, I got it covered with Homeserve that gave me an annual service (that I've never got incidentally) but to my chagrin, I've realised my boiler is covered with Home Emergency with Halifax. However, reading the fine print it suggests regular maintenance and I was wondering if anyone can signpost to a company that might be able to do this? My boiler has had no issues but just want piece of mind if it does that my home insurance won't refuse to look at it without maintenance information. I don't think Homeserve offer an boiler service agreement on its own sadly.

To validate any warranty (and I expect any cover/insurance plan) then a boiler requires servicing annually, ALSO the system must be 'adequately maintained'. by fitting a magnetic filter, cleansing the system and refilling with inhibitor added then this would satisfy the 'adequately maintained' part, you then just clean your filter regularly and top up your inhibitor annually during a service. A boiler service costs from £40, though the Vaillant will require a new seal fitted every 5yrs as a minimum (extra £20). Hope this helps, cheers, Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Our boiler has stopped working, so, no hot water or heating. We're considering going with British Gas, either a one off repair or repair and protect; unless we'd be better off with a local gas/heating engineer. Any recommendations or helpful suggestions?

Thanks,

Help!

The pressure on the boiler is at zero, but,

When I try and turn the valve to repressurise it, water comes pouring out.

I really can't afford am engineer right now, so Amy advise very welcome.

Does it come out from inside the boiler ? If so I'd suspect an internal pipe has burst or a joint has come loose

it's a Worcester boiler, had it less than a year.

There is a plastic key thing (technical term ;) ) and the smaller plastic screw/valve to the left of it.

When I turn the screw/valve to repressurize it, water pour out over my hand, until I turn it back. I can't see where the water comes from exactly though. Hope that makes some sense?