Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hello

All of my upstairs radiators are cold when I put the heating on. My boiler is about 5years old, I've checked the pressure and that's fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be before I fork out for a plumber?

The heating has really been used since feb.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Make sure you have bled all the upstairs radiators to ensure there is no air in them....you will probably need to top up the pressure afterwards. If problem persists, switch heating on then try turning off each radiator downstairs, to try to force the heat to the problem radiators upstairs....obviously make sure BOTH valves on each radiator upstairs are open

Take Steve's advise (Corgigasman) hes done work on our heating system and is very knowledgeable as are one or two others on here, but we went with Steve, so if you do what he has suggested hopefully you will get your heating back working correctly, failing that give steve a call.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
my boiler Alpha 280e is losing pressure , water coming out of the over flow ,I've just changed the filler loop & valve, still losing pressure , will it need a replacement expansion vessel ? If so how much supply & fit

Regards Carl

If you mean you've got water coming out of the blow off pipe, the copper pipe that simply goes outside, likely to be the Pressure Relief Valve that's gone. Expect around £15-£20 for the part plus fitting.

I have a towel warmer in a room that is no longer a bathroom and I'd like to change it over to a normal radiator. My central heating system is a system boiler - Glow-worm Flexicom 30sx and I'm reliably informed (by the company that I engage to do GSCs) that I need a qualified GCH Engineer who carries a "unvented badge"(?) to work on this kind of system.

Sheffield Forum is always good at providing names of trusted and capable people who can get the job done... any recommendations or even any takers from forumers?

If you have an unvented cylinder, make sure you check the Gas Safe website to check that the person you get to work on it has the unvented qualification. Not everyone who is Gas Safe has this. However, as this job would be on the heating side, I would think that the G3 qualification is not required. A quick phone call to Gas Safe (0800 408 5500) should clarify matters.

Edited by leelister6

I have a towel warmer in a room that is no longer a bathroom and I'd like to change it over to a normal radiator. My central heating system is a system boiler - Glow-worm Flexicom 30sx and I'm reliably informed (by the company that I engage to do GSCs) that I need a qualified GCH Engineer who carries a "unvented badge"(?) to work on this kind of system.

Sheffield Forum is always good at providing names of trusted and capable people who can get the job done... any recommendations or even any takers from forumers?

Hi we are unvented fitters we install and work on them every week, we would be happy to quote but you would have to wait until the 3rd week in January for the installation from us many thanks Jon at JB Heating Services.