Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi all,

My mother had a boiler service and the boiler passed absolutely fine, however it needed a 3-way central heating valve replacement as the valve was sticking, making a buzzing noise and the heating is not coming on. The hot water is fine.

We were quoted £150 and told it was a four hour job. This was for one of the cheaper valves, because she is now selling the house.

Unfortunately the chap who did the boiler and quoted for us has disappeared off the face of the earth (and I paid him upfront, so if he doesn't find it in him soon to respond to me I will be naming and shaming on this forum, where we found him), so we are looking for somebody else who can come this week.

I'll need to see some good positive feedback/credentials etc as sadly the above experience has left us a little sensitive to potentially being ripped off.

thanks

Hi all,

My mother had a boiler service and the boiler passed absolutely fine, however it needed a 3-way central heating valve replacement as the valve was sticking, making a buzzing noise and the heating is not coming on. The hot water is fine.

We were quoted £150 and told it was a four hour job. This was for one of the cheaper valves, because she is now selling the house.

Unfortunately the chap who did the boiler and quoted for us has disappeared off the face of the earth (and I paid him upfront, so if he doesn't find it in him soon to respond to me I will be naming and shaming on this forum, where we found him), so we are looking for somebody else who can come this week.

I'll need to see some good positive feedback/credentials etc as sadly the above experience has left us a little sensitive to potentially being ripped off.

thanks

Hi price sounds around the mark time of 4hours seems alot would have thought more like 1hour if you don't get sorted let me know I could fit you in near the end of the week cheers Jon at JB Heating.

Just to follow up, we used JBradleybz AKA Jon Bradley on here, and he was great. He was punctual, got the job done quickly, charged less than a previous quote and did a very thorough job. Will be using him again.

Hi price sounds around the mark time of 4hours seems alot would have thought more like 1hour if you don't get sorted let me know I could fit you in near the end of the week cheers Jon at JB Heating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi GJC, had lots of similar issues like this, will need manifolds upstairs tracing and replacing ? Done lots on newish builds on old shirecliffe college site, cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you still around, you did a great job on my manifolds last year, allworking now, just needed to get in touch about service and something else? I've tried calling a few times??

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a Hive receiver to control my boiler. I have all the rest of the required kit, thermostat, hub, but I can't find a retailer that sells the receiver separately. I understand that these are the same receivers that were used in the Hive v1.

Anyone know where I can pick up one?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Just wondered if anyone on here has recently replaced a traditional gravity fed hot water system with an unvented cylinder to boost hot water pressure.

What is 'ballpark' cost for this where current cylinder is in airing cupboard and header tanks in loft space directly above ?

Alternatively anyone fitted a pump to boost the hot water and have any recommendations on installers ?

Thanks