Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but can we have bigger radiators fitted to improve the temp in our house (some seem very small), or do we also need a new boiler?

Thanks

Id say it would depend on output power of your existing boiler

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but can we have bigger radiators fitted to improve the temp in our house (some seem very small), or do we also need a new boiler?

Thanks

C.H output of a combi is usually lower than the hot water output. A Vaillant Ecotec pro 24Kw for example will provide a maximum of around 19Kw of C.H output. You can work out the size of the combined radiators required in Kw and see if the boiler can cope. Most radiator manufacturers show the output in Kw and BTU's (a kudox 600x1200 double from Screwfix is approx. 2.5Kw so in theory you could get away with 7 of that size)

After two years of living in a house we've finally gotten round to looking at a faulty radiator in the utility room, it has never heated up. After opening up the lock shield I can feel some warmth at the top of the radiator, i've ensure it's bled but after some googling it suggests the radiator may need flushing or replacing.

Could anyone advise further? Is the above correct?

After two years of living in a house we've finally gotten round to looking at a faulty radiator in the utility room, it has never heated up. After opening up the lock shield I can feel some warmth at the top of the radiator, i've ensure it's bled but after some googling it suggests the radiator may need flushing or replacing.

Could anyone advise further? Is the above correct?

Probably full of sludge. Could do with taking off and flushing through. Also a system filter is a good idea such as a Magnaclean Pro2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

My elderly Mum is having British Gas round with a view to replace her Gas CH boiler, they are coming today, and she will not decide there and then, but I just wondered if anyone could give me a sort of up to date approx cost for both traditional and combi.I don't live near her and want to prevent her being ripped off. So if anyone out there has had this work done fairly recently, or any fitters etc could just give me an off the top of the head idea, that would be good, then when she tells me what they have priced it at, I can advise her.

Thanks for reading.

Hi ,

My elderly Mum is having British Gas round with a view to replace her Gas CH boiler, they are coming today, and she will not decide there and then, but I just wondered if anyone could give me a sort of up to date approx cost for both traditional and combi.I don't live near her and want to prevent her being ripped off. So if anyone out there has had this work done fairly recently, or any fitters etc could just give me an off the top of the head idea, that would be good, then when she tells me what they have priced it at, I can advise her.

Thanks for reading.

It may help fitters etc if you mention what boiler is in now and will it be similar that goes in.

Ideal 24kw combis are about £550 at A&C bathrooms, we had one fitted recently, but the gas safe guy is a friend for the fitting cost.

Just make sure she doesn't decide today - I wouldn't trust BGs prices!

In September last year we had our basic system boiler in the kitchen and tanks in the loft removed. We had a new vaillant condensing combi boiler with 10 year warranty fitted in the upstairs airing cupboard with a new flue out through the roof. Operated via a honeywell wireless programmable thermostat. The old flue was removed from the kitchen wall and bricked up externally and the hole internally blocked up with a cut section of blockwork. I'm sorry but I can't remember the power output, - if it helps it is a fairly standard 3 bed terrace (1 large double, 1 small double and 1 small single bedroom, downstairs the house has living room and then kitchen/diner.Late 1960's house which has been cavity wall filled and insulation in the loft, all double glazed.

Total cost was £3000 and should have included a new gas supply pipe from meter to new boiler location but was found not to be necessary. I was told this was a very good price by several people who should know a lot more about it than I do.

Hope that helps.