Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi

We have a Baxi combi. Just recently the hot water tap in the kitchen doesn't fire up the boiler (occasionally it does). The central heating works fine and upstairs tap still gets hot.

The water flow from the kitchen tap seems ok, not slow or anything.

Hopefully it's something simple?

Thanks Duckegg

Hi-Just bumping this up as didn't get any replies and upstairs tap now is affected too.

Do I need someone to look at it or is it an easy thing please?

Thank you

Please remember the megathreads are for recommendations and advice.

No actual jobs or quotes, that’s what the Vacancies section is for.

Also please no touting for work in response to posts wanting recommendations etc.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a tenant and my boiler keeps stopping in this extreme cold weather, i have read it could be the pipe freezing outide the house, is this correct, if so it would be hard to get to to it, tbh. It is not brilliant even during normal weather, banging noises, etc, it is a seven year old Combi boiler.

so, no heating or hot water in this weather, crazy.

I am a tenant and my boiler keeps stopping in this extreme cold weather, i have read it could be the pipe freezing outide the house, is this correct, if so it would be hard to get to to it, tbh. It is not brilliant even during normal weather, banging noises, etc, it is a seven year old Combi boiler.

so, no heating or hot water in this weather, crazy.

If its the condensate pipe then its usually a plastic pipe which exits the wall just below the boiler. Can you see such a pipe from outside the property? Warm (not boiling) water will defrost it.

in the last cold spell my mums had a huge icicle around 5 foot long hanging from it at a joint where it entered a wider bore pipe. Fortunately I insulated it yesterday morning and theres no icicle today.

If you're a tenant I'd say this is one for the landlord.

I much prefer my old balanced flue floor standing boiler with thicker metal and minimal technology :)

Good luck.

Would you advise me on the new boiler?it's for tenantsso not the hard one to manage.something reasonable and easy to maintain.

I have hot water cylinder in cupboard should I go with the boiler without having the hot water cylinder.

regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...