Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

9 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

Update, the pressure has gonedown to 0 and I need to fill it to one bar, anyone know which levers on the boiler i need to operate to undertake this, tx

It is an Ideal Combi Boiler

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to see what the general thoughts are out there re boilers. First time I've had to purchase one.  Live in a 3 bed semi 1950s build so decent size with the Mrs and 4 year old. 

Need a new boiler it seems to be the done thing to go with a combi. With the perceived advantages being more space/less noise as a result of the the hot water tank being removed. Also unlimited hot water.

Had a chat with my dad, he and my mum have a similar size house to mine. His thought is he'd never go with a combi feels the traditional system is more reliable. Also the traditional system allows for back up hot water.

I'm sure they'll be other advantages/disadvantages though would welcome your thoughts

Thanks 

If you have traditional system and want to move to a combi then it isn’t as straightforward as just swapping out the boiler. Your central heating system will be under more pressure for a start so if your current pipe work isn’t up to it, it will start leaking. You might end up changing all the pipe work for your central heating to be able to accommodate a combination boiler. 

Another disadvantage is if you have more than one shower in the house for example. You might not be able to have enough hot water to have two showers running at the same time. 

Combi boilers are cheaper to run because you don’t have to maintain a constant tank of hot water. Apparently, they don’t have the longevity of a traditional boiler. 

Edited by ez8004

2 hours ago, ez8004 said:

If you have traditional system and want to move to a combi then it isn’t as straightforward as just swapping out the boiler. Your central heating system will be under more pressure for a start so if your current pipe work isn’t up to it, it will start leaking. You might end up changing all the pipe work for your central heating to be able to accommodate a combination boiler. 

Another disadvantage is if you have more than one shower in the house for example. You might not be able to have enough hot water to have two showers running at the same time. 

Combi boilers are cheaper to run because you don’t have to maintain a constant tank of hot water. Apparently, they don’t have the longevity of a traditional boiler. 

Thanks to update to my original post we just have the one shower. Would welcome any further views.

It seems all the ex council  3 bed semi houses had a traditional system. Does anyone know does the council change the conventional systems to combi's on their properties?

hello , I have an alpha cb24 that is 15 years old. the domestic hot water is not hot. the problem appears to be either the heat exchanger or the diverter valve. heating is not a problem. so, do I consider a repair job or am I looking at a boiler replacement. ? thanks.

11 minutes ago, buddysbuddy said:

hello , I have an alpha cb24 that is 15 years old. the domestic hot water is not hot. the problem appears to be either the heat exchanger or the diverter valve. heating is not a problem. so, do I consider a repair job or am I looking at a boiler replacement. ? thanks.

15 years old is towards the end of it's lifespan, see link below.

https://www.gocompare.com/covered/2013/12/when-should-you-replace-your-boiler/

In the video, the boiler required a new diaphragm, I'd make sure the repair was done by a qualified engineer if you go that way.

• 4 months later...

Hi

looking for qualified boiler repair.  I have a procombi boiler, I think there may be a problem with the diverter valve?  It all works fine when on, heating and hot water. But when the heating is off and there is a demand for hot water, the hot water is going into the radiators and not the tap.  It's not a mega emergency, but does need fixing..

Im in S6.  Can anyone recommend  someone. Thanks.

• 1 month later...