Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi web yes you can no issue at all

Thanks, what's the regs re. Installation vs commissioning, I have my gas safe but not got a gas flue analyser,as theres no call for 1 on my side of the job. can I install the boiler and get someone in to commission it, Its for my own house BTW.

Can I use a plume kit to get the 300mm clearance from an openable window??

Not sure which combi to go for yet but leaning towards the Potterton Gold.

Thoughts?

Sorry JF but WRONG. Plume kits are for 'nuisance' plume only, and NOT to try to make an illegal terminal position legal. This is a common misunderstanding but was clarified when I put the exact same question to my regional Gas-safe inspector (Graham French). Feel free to contact him via Gas-safe if you have any doubts, regards, Steve

Sorry Corgi gas man but you are also wrong, after downloading the MI for the boiler I'm thinking of it seems it is allowed, as long as the air intake is a minimum of 150mm from said opening, although to be fair after searching various forums this is often disputed amongst installers. The advice most often given is go with MI.

Any answer then to the second question re. Installation and commission???

Sorry Corgi gas man but you are also wrong, after downloading the MI for the boiler I'm thinking of it seems it is allowed, as long as the air intake is a minimum of 150mm from said opening, although to be fair after searching various forums this is often disputed amongst installers. The advice most often given is go with MI.

Any answer then to the second question re. Installation and commission???

In Answer to your 1st question

Wether regs are there or not I personally would not put a plume kit within 150mm of an opening window, Windows are really cheap nowadays could you not just alter the window.

In Answer to your second question

I would also say that if you haven't got CPA go and get it, it costs about £250 at Northern Gas in Mexbrough and takes 4-8 hours, you will then be covered, you will also have to do CPA1 any way when you next retake CEN1 which now also includes water heaters under the new qualification CENWAT.

Gas Safe will also always advise you to follow the manufactures instructions as these will supersede gas regulations as it is their appliance.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 11:42 ----------

can i have a thermostat fitted?

i have a combi boiler fitted upstairs and no thermostat BG only offered the hive one at £149,

can any gas safe person fit one?and how much am i looking at please?

You'll not get an internet enabled one cheaper than this,

This is what is known as a loss leader for British Gas

Mickey ET. Got all the relevant certs, just not got an analyser as there's no call for one on my side of the job. Its about 275mm away, and the plumekit would take it to around 500mm.

You can't have CEN1 without CPA1 anymore anyway so you'll have to do it at some point and then your covered.