Advertised car with tax sold with no tax- HELP

If the car was first advertise 2 weeks ago with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax, this suggests that you should have got:

either 6 months tax from the date of purchase,

or the balance of 6 months tax from the date of the advert

Of course, if the tax was negotiated 'out' during the price haggling, this may explain that.

There seems to be a lot of cars on forecourts atm without any MOT or tax, market does not look very buyant. I'm after a very specific car, and I've seen 4 in the last month, all at respective independent dealers: all 4 cars had been (i) bought at auction (no ifs or buts, clear as day), (ii) on the forecourt since summer (ad photos tell enough of a story) and (iii) out of tax and MOT. And they've all been dogs :(

I would say a large majority of cars on forecourts come from auction it doesn't mean they are dogs.

Keep trying.

Show him a copy of the advert and explain that you think you were misled and that Trading Standards should be interested.

However ....

Did the advert state the price?

I assume that you do not have a receipt that shows that price ... as you got a discount.

It will be your word against his that you did, or did not, agree the discount by waiving the 12-month tax.

Your failure to notice the lack of tax for two weeks before complaining may be interpreted as not being reasonable grounds for a claim.

Anyway ... Good Luck!

I doubt you stand any chance with CAB or trading standards to be honest purely because you have been such a plonker about it.

It is so easy simply for the dealer to say we cut a deal that it does not come with tax for that discounted price and guess what it would be near on impossible to prove otherwise.

If you ask me i think you should just forget it pay for the tax and learn from your mistake because the ball really is in the dealers court if he wants to be an idiot about it he can do, if he wants to be reasonable about it he also can do.

Just for gods sake don't be so daft about it next time when looking at buying a car inspect it as though its YOUR winning lottery ticket.

Check the tax, check the MOT, reitterate certain points of the sale to the dealer, just generally make the dealer work for his money.

We did this on our last car and ended up getting an astounding deal!

Keep trying.

Show him a copy of the advert and explain that you think you were misled and that Trading Standards should be interested.

However ....

Did the advert state the price?

I assume that you do not have a receipt that shows that price ... as you got a discount.

It will be your word against his that you did, or did not, agree the discount by waiving the 12-month tax.

Your failure to notice the lack of tax for two weeks before complaining may be interpreted as not being reasonable grounds for a claim.

Anyway ... Good Luck!

Conversely, not noticing the out of date tax supports the buyers contention that tax (and MOT) was part of the deal - if it was taxed, why would he feel the need to check.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 23:48 ----------

I doubt you stand any chance with CAB or trading standards to be honest purely because you have been such a plonker about it.

It is so easy simply for the dealer to say we cut a deal that it does not come with tax for that discounted price and guess what it would be near on impossible to prove otherwise.

If you ask me i think you should just forget it pay for the tax and learn from your mistake because the ball really is in the dealers court if he wants to be an idiot about it he can do, if he wants to be reasonable about it he also can do.

Just for gods sake don't be so daft about it next time when looking at buying a car inspect it as though its YOUR winning lottery ticket.

Check the tax, check the MOT, reitterate certain points of the sale to the dealer, just generally make the dealer work for his money.

We did this on our last car and ended up getting an astounding deal!

I think this post is rubbish. If the advert is clear, then it would be up to the dealer to show that he had negotiated away the tax and MOT, for example by stating it on any written contract.

Sorry.

I just realised that I have misread.

The Tax had expired before the sale?

He let you drive off the dealership with no tax?

I've never heard of it being done, but he could be charged with abetting the traffic offence of driving without tax/insurance.

You bought a car and didn't check the paperwork before you left??

Are you sure you even bought the same car that was advertised, it doesn't seem like you put much thought into your decision?!?!

As I said. I was going through a bad break up. I know I have failed in areas if he sale. However the car I bought was that which was advertised yes.

I ask for advice not criticism thank you.

As I said. I was going through a bad break up. I know I have failed in areas if he sale. However the car I bought was that which was advertised yes.

It might be worth a check at DVLA to find out when last tax disc expired. If it has been cashed in there could always be a few days till end of month. But as they clamped you it seems unlikely. However if tax had expired or been cashed at time of advert it proves false advertising. Similarly with MOT. You can't cash one of those. So if its expired and you have a copy of advert Trading Standards are your friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTOBOY58

It might be worth a check at DVLA to find out when last tax disc expired. If it has been cashed in there could always be a few days till end of month. But as they clamped you it seems unlikely. However if tax had expired or been cashed at time of advert it proves false advertising. Similarly with MOT. You can't cash one of those. So if its expired and you have a copy of advert Trading Standards are your friend.

The tax disc expired in September, it says so in the OP

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I have been to the OFT and shown my evidence of the advert and having given the dealer an opportunity to rectify the sale, which they declind to do. The OFT fully agreed to pursue this. So i thank all for your response as it has been a big help.

Mod please can you close this thread now.

Archived