Do you think society will get better or worse over the coming years?

I watched a very interesting series called 'Wartime Farm,' (same team who made Victorian Farm.) Learned lots of things I didn't know. Can't remember what channel it was on, but it will probably be repeated sooner or later. Well worth watching.

Nutritionist comment is oft repeated fact.

Simple question (maybe not a simple answer): do you think society will get better or worse in our lifetime?

Are we as a race spontaneously capable of evolving into better people and will it happen any time soon?

So, better times on the horizon or are there some darker times ahead?

I'll tell you why I'm asking when I've had a few answers.

Worse, the more immigrants that come, the worse it will get.Society was never like it is 12 years ago, when the 1st wave came in.

Re: Overpopulation

The entire population of the world, (all 6+billion,) could fit onto a land area the size of the Isle of Wight. And we can feed everybody. Starvation is due to economics, not lack of food production. Population can also fall very quickly, as China has discovered with its one child policy.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 01:59 ----------

Please see above.

The farmers in WW2 upped food production by more than 70% and kept the nation fed. We certainly didn't starve, in fact nutritionists now say we had a better diet during the war and rationing than before or since.

I'm not saying we should be complacent about population, but it can be managed.

I was there at the time, so have a first hand knowledge of whether we were well fed enough. There was always plenty of bread, but you had to spread the marge on it pretty thin. Very litle meat on your ration, though rabbits and fish were plentiful. Little sugar, no bananas, few fresh eggs, plenty of dried ones. Dried fruits instead of fresh. Note where the shortages are, always foods that needed importing. All I said was that the UBoats tried to starve us. Thousands of our merchant and naval seamen died in the cold North Atlantic trying to bring food in. Today the American and Canadian Prairies are producing cereal and meats for the whole world.

Really, so you're saying there are areas of the UK without schools, unemployment, police, NHS, shops and public services etc?

No. What I'm saying is that apart from perhaps the wage freeze for public sector workers (which I admit would be as a result of cuts, etc) there are areas in the UK where unemployment has not changed over the past 4 or 5 years, schools have not cut numbers, the service provided by NHS, etc is unchanged, high streets have not had shops closed down and public services have not been cut.

These areas are probably few and far between (parts of East London & Aberdeen being two) but they do exist.

Our society gives equality to women in many matters.

We do not officially persecute people for their religion or culture.

As a corollary, we allow members of some cultures (using the freedom we grant them) to downgrade women and use violence against those they see as "infidels"

Will we convert them to our liberal view, or will they force us to behave in a way they find acceptable?

I think the first would make a better world, and the second a worse.

All you posters talk as if society is some abstraction that is separate from people. Society is individual people and the relationships between individual people. If individuals are happy then society is happy. Society can only improve if indviduals look after themselves and others around them.

All you posters talk as if society is some abstraction that is separate from people. Society is individual people and the relationships between individual people. If individuals are happy then society is happy. Society can only improve if indviduals look after themselves and others around them.

I agree, society is basically what we all make it.

All we know is that it will change as it has continually changed from the days of the cavemen.

There are some signs that it will improve. A sense of a global society is gradually emerging whereas before various societies and countries were very insular and preoccupied with self interest. Universal human rights, the awareness of slavery and the need to eliminate it are matters that concern us all. Certain cultural and religious entities continue to fight a rear guard action to maintain the status quo but as time goes by they will also have to change. An increasing awareness of the earths fragile ecosystem and the necessity to protect it is another good sign

Overall I feel there's some justification to feel positive. Certainly if one looks back through history society never was what one could call anything near perfect and most often than not downright awful at times