Do you think society will get better or worse over the coming years?

I agree, society is basically what we all make it.

And since we all want to make it something different and have many different cultural expectations, religions, customs and beliefs, whatever we do make it isn’t likely to please everyone, and unhappy people don’t make for a good society. :)

The recently published UK census data shows a large shift away from organised religion towards people claiming "no faith" or "no religion". I can't remember what the actual wording on the census form was, did it say "atheist" as a separate category, or was that classified under "no religion".

there is no doubt that UK society will change over the years - whether it is for the better or the worse depends largely on your perception of your place within it

undoubtedly, "better" will mean different things to different people

to some it will mean economic performance, to some it will mean social change - e.g. how the elderly/ill/poor/disabled are treated, to some there will be other indicators which are more important such as levels of crime, immigration, education etc, and to some it will be something more difficult to measure and compare such as moral behaviour

i'm a born optimist and believe that society as a whole will generally improve for the benefit of the majority of the people - but a lot depends on how you choose to measure it, what period you compare it to, and who you are comparing

Things rarely change for the better

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 12:29 ----------

I agree, society is basically what we all make it.

But people want different things Janie, that's why society will just deteriorate. There is no pulling together.

Things rarely change for the better

I suspect that a lot of people would disagree.

For example, gay people, who 40 or 50 years ago were criminalised.

Women, who several hundred years ago didn't even have the right to vote.

Slaves, well, they don't exist in this part of the world anymore, but they certainly did.

Lots of things change for the better.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 12:30 ----------

But people want different things Janie, that's why society will just deteriorate. There is no pulling together.

People have always wanted different things, yet things still keep improving.

Archived