Washer/Dryer recommendations? Longevity!

The reason i mentioned Miele was because 12 years ago, my FIL bought a Miele Washer and Dishwasher.

Both still work perfectly and have never suffered a single fault, unlike the 4 washing machines i've gone through in the same time!

I've never had a Miele washer (one day ... sigh ...) but I can vouch for the indestructible nature of their vacuum cleaners. Workhorses that just go on and on and on.

Do NOT buy SMEG they are rubbish. Dishwasher,microwave, electric oven element (3) all needed fixing.

Not cheap either.

Total C..P

A neighbour's washing machine (SMEG) almost caught fire.....the drum was rubbing on the rubber seal and the friction almost set it alight, loads of smoke.

Luckily they were at home and hadn't gone out for the day

Alot of the new washing machines,without warrenty are throw away items because they come with sealed tubs which do not allow the bearings to be changed.Bearings are the most common cause of washer failure.

There are few manuafacturers that arnt using sealed tubs and although many are coming with 5 year guarantees most of the guarantee is for parts only and then your laced on the Labour.

If you want a washer to last then get one a few years old in immaculate condition which will be easily fully servicable by a local engineer.

A washer consists of a drum,motor,pump,heater and a board to control them no matter who makes them and its like anything you can be lucky or not.

thanks for all your suggestions guys! looks like miele is the way to go....until i saw the price yikes haha!! :D

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 21:05 ----------

Alot of the new washing machines,without warrenty are throw away items because they come with sealed tubs which do not allow the bearings to be changed.Bearings are the most common cause of washer failure.

There are few manuafacturers that arnt using sealed tubs and although many are coming with 5 year guarantees most of the guarantee is for parts only and then your laced on the Labour.

If you want a washer to last then get one a few years old in immaculate condition which will be easily fully servicable by a local engineer.

A washer consists of a drum,motor,pump,heater and a board to control them no matter who makes them and its like anything you can be lucky or not.

any suggestions from where and what make?

Yep, mine is now 5 years old and looks like it was delivered yesterday (some sort of coating they put on it).

Works flawlessly and is much quieter than other washers due to its cast iron base.

I love my Miele. :love:

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 11:22 ----------

Course they are sunshine. :rolleyes:

(I suppose if something made in China is your idea of premium, your expectations must be pretty low.)

I was excepting Miele, as at a guess the OP doesn't want to spend 2 grand on a washer. They are very good, but as they cost 4-5 times as everything else they may not end up being great value even over an extended lifespan.

Archived