Knock on effects-pubs-takeaways-taxis.

I WAS taking average wage with a pinch of salt from the start of this part of the discussion.
Aye.

The fork lift truck driver was in the average wage category in 1973 according to your stats. That suggests a quite highly skilled job (which it still is, but with much less pay).

I wouldn't say it is highly skilled, you don't even need a license, although many places require you to have one for insurance purposes (I have a RTITB license and have worked as one), I would say it is a job with responsibility though, as you can easily injure others, to be fair, it is hardly worth doing, makes more sense to be a picker/packer - same wage pretty much and no real responsibility, you can do it drunk.

...which suggests that today FLT drivers don't earn as much as they used to. Today they could only buy 3 pints for an hour's work. NMW can buy 2. I already stated earlier that my equiv NMW in 1991 could buy me less than 2 pints per hour's work.

Aye, the pay is crap.

But in 1991 I think the average pint price was lower than the £1.40 you quoted...

This data has it at about £1.10...

http://www.goldmadesimplenews.com/gold/using-the-beer-price-index-the-all-time-inflation-adjusted-high-price-of-gold-is-3730-8092/

I was about 15/16 when I started going to the pub in 2003 and recall it being £1.30-£1.40 in the pubs I visited. (Although avg. supposedly £2.00 then) In 2004 it was about £1.50 and I was earning £5.50 an hour cleaning! (I've always drunk in the cheaper pubs - except on rare occasion), when I had left school I used to drink in the pub most days!

Since then, wages have gone nowhere really and beer has gone UP UP UP!

But that isn't the case today, and people can buy clean water in a bottle for 20p for 500ml. (or about 23p a pint (or 26 pints for an hour's work at NMW))

Aye, water isn't too expensive, that and food are actually quite cheap in this country.

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 00:50 ----------

In the past 5 years, min wage up 8%. Inflation at about 20%. Social rents rising at 0.5% above inflation per year, have risen 26%, and beer duty in that time (rising 2% above inflation) must have risen about 35%!

Aye.

I wouldn't say it is highly skilled, you don't even need a license, although many places require you to have one for insurance purposes (I have a RTITB license and have worked as one), I would say it is a job with responsibility though, as you can easily injure others, to be fair, it is hardly worth doing, makes more sense to be a picker/packer - same wage pretty much and no real responsibility, you can do it drunk.

If driving a FLT paid the avergae wage in 1973 it must have been considered quite highly skilled - as I said. If it wasn't considered quite highly skilled, then they were overpaid. It's one or the other (maybe the latter based on what you have said).

But in 1991 I think the average pint price was lower than the £1.40 you quoted...

This data has it at about £1.10...

http://www.goldmadesimplenews.com/gold/using-the-beer-price-index-the-all-time-inflation-adjusted-high-price-of-gold-is-3730-8092/

Even at £1.10 it still fits in with my figures on page 1 when I stated...

I tend to work things out in terms of wage/hour. When I was 16-18 a gallon of fuel was about an hour + a bit wages*, same with cigs. A pint was about just over half hours wage.

It's not much different now (20+ years later)

*based on approx equivalent to current NMW

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 01:24 ----------

In the past 5 years, min wage up 8%. Inflation at about 20%. Social rents rising at 0.5% above inflation per year, have risen 26%, and beer duty in that time (rising 2% above inflation) must have risen about 35%!

Using your logic (based on how you've written this) it would be more than 4 times more expensive to buy a beer in comparison to your wage.

-

If one earned £100/wk, and beer was £1 - 100 beers per week.

Then in five years, min wage was up 8% in total, and beer increased at 5% per year for 5 years, then:

Wage = £108 and beer = £1.27 - 85 beers a week.

Clearly beer is more expensive using these figures, but not to the extent that you have portrayed it.

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 01:26 ----------

Nah i don't buy that, like I said before Technology is to blame! online gaming, watch what you want when you want etc, along with cheap supermarket booze.

At least someone can see some sense.

Chem1st, the average change in the price of beer compared to wage has gone from 5.5 pints/hr to 4.4 pints/hr.

It's not actually a massive change is it! Less than a 20% increase in the comparative cost of beer. The vast majority of which I expect can be put down to increases in duty and vat... Duty and vat have risen by more than 20% when combined, since the 1960's haven't they?

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 11:20 ----------

Does anyone else think minicabs/taxi has price themself out of the market. i mean £5.50 for a 3 miles trip in no traffic is a liitle over price

Obviously not as they seem to be surviving.

Archived