Nhs or private dentists-whats the difference?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm looking for some advice.

I haven't seen a dentist for many years, infact I'm really scared of dentists. Luckily I don't have a gob full of bad teeth as I take care of them but, what is the difference between an NHS dentist and going private?

Do you still have to pay for a filling and a check up anyway if it's an nhs dentist or not?

I work full time, so would not be entitiled to any free treatment, or is it free if you're at an NHS dentist. I'm really not clued up at all.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm looking for some advice.

I haven't seen a dentist for many years, infact I'm really scared of dentists. Luckily I don't have a gob full of bad teeth as I take care of them but, what is the difference between an NHS dentist and going private?

Do you still have to pay for a filling and a check up anyway if it's an nhs dentist or not?

I work full time, so would not be entitiled to any free treatment, or is it free if you're at an NHS dentist. I'm really not clued up at all.

I have an NHS dentist but still have to pay.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, with the NHS you only have to pay the first x amount (think it's something like £17 for a checkup) - with private you pay for all of it, how much depends on how much they charge as I think they can charge what they like.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

NHS - Still have to pay but at a cheaper rate than private. I dont think you can get all treatment (particularly if its just cosmetic stuff) done on the NHS and have to pay full price for it. I know my friend went to the dentist a few weeks ago, totally free on NHS even though she works, as shes pregnant. They wouldn't give her a white filing, only a silver one. She ended up paying about £40 for a white filling she said. Fussy git!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

There's treatment bands for NHS, so you'll know it won't cost above a certain amount (see link in above post).

Private costs - how long is a piece of string. Could be thousands. My OH ended up having to go private once. Cost over £800 and was a rubbish, unfinished job. Finally got into an NHS teaching place and they're brilliant, fraction of the price, got him all sorted out and it transpired that the private lot were fobbing him off trying to charge for unnecessary treatment.

NHS - Still have to pay but at a cheaper rate than private. I dont think you can get all treatment (particularly if its just cosmetic stuff) done on the NHS and have to pay full price for it. I know my friend went to the dentist a few weeks ago, totally free on NHS even though she works, as shes pregnant. They wouldn't give her a white filing, only a silver one. She ended up paying about £40 for a white filling she said. Fussy git!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Was the silver filling amalgam and does it still contain mercury?

Article in the paper recommending going abroad for dental treatment. providing you do all the right checks to verify quality, it's a lot cheaper even including the air fair.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Archived