Nhs or private dentists-whats the difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

NHS - Still have to pay but at a cheaper rate than private. I dont think you can get all treatment (particularly if its just cosmetic stuff) done on the NHS and have to pay full price for it. I know my friend went to the dentist a few weeks ago, totally free on NHS even though she works, as shes pregnant. They wouldn't give her a white filing, only a silver one. She ended up paying about £40 for a white filling she said. Fussy git!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Was the silver filling amalgam and does it still contain mercury?

Article in the paper recommending going abroad for dental treatment. providing you do all the right checks to verify quality, it's a lot cheaper even including the air fair.

Anyone had any experience of this?

I have no idea. Its the bog standard silver stuff they use for everyones filling. She looked disgusted and said "But I have white teeth, wtf do I do with a silver filling!?! Urrrgh its disgusting. Why would you want black bits in your teeth?" - Her demand for a white one was purely cosmetic and they wouldn't do it for free.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I know a dental nurse . She works for a practice that does both NHS and private work. She tells me that for basic dental care you get exactly the same treatment whether you go NHS or private. You still have to pay for NHS if you are a worker , but it is much cheaper than private.

I know a dental nurse . She works for a practice that does both NHS and private work. She tells me that for basic dental care you get exactly the same treatment whether you go NHS or private. You still have to pay for NHS if you are a worker , but it is much cheaper than private.

I would agree with that - hence why I mix and match - NHS for general check ups/ cleaning etc and private for any "extra bits".

I am also scared of dentists and haven't been for ages. My one sold to a corporate and is now awful. I tried to go to the one in Broomhill, they were appalling to me, I have never been treated as badly in a dentist, and that is saying something, I didn't get as far as my appointment. After that, I got a filling knocked out during an operation and went to a private one, it cost me £100, the morning I got discharged from hospital, it seemed an unfair penalty and pain from having an operation. I enquired recently at a private dentist and it is too expensive. I went to my nearest one and they said they were full and weren't very kind. If anyone could recommend an NHS dentist taking patients who are kind to people, within a few miles from the city centre, that would be nice. Now you mention dentists I remember I have a bony lump on my jawbone in my mouth. I went to the GP, they said go to a dentist. They gave me a number, I spoke to them, but they never got back to me with an available dentist. I phoned the dental hospital a few times, but no joy. The awful saga of dentists in the UK. Dentist recomendations please!

Mhm

a) Go to prison

b) Get pregnant

c) Get a well paid job

d) Marry a Royal

e) Have all teeth removed and get false ones

I have been considering E for a while.

I'm terrified of dentists, and my wisdom teeth grew through black and quickly developed holes, cracks and other nasties. I have had one removed so far, but the one on the opposite side has a huge hole in the side (its been filled in the top) and the blackness has spread to the next tooth, which is now cracked, and I'm noticing the next one turning black now too! Both top wisdom teeth are black and in half.

Silly, I go to dentist and come out thinking it wasn't so bad, but then daren't go again. I think all out and falsies before they fall out is the way forward for me!

Archived