Tougher prison sentences for violent crime announced

As well as tougher sentences new offences have also come into force today.

Some prisoners will have to serve two thirds of their sentence before become eligible for parole instead of half the sentence.

There are also mandatory life sentences for anyone committing a second serious violent or sexual crime.

Will it make a difference?

Some prisoners will have to serve two thirds of their sentence before become eligible for parole instead of half the sentence.

There are also mandatory life sentences for anyone committing a second serious violent or sexual crime.

The EPP is a replacement for IPP so the government trying to sell that as tough new sentencing powers is a bit of a joke.

As for life sentences, other than the possibility of recall they seem to have no effect on the actual time served.

The stuff about knives, we've been told that people will get 5 years just for having one (without good cause), yet nobody got anything like that.

I'll believe it when I see it.

No it won't, mandatory life sentences for a second serious violent or sexual offences were in force back in 1999 so nothing new there.

Keeping prisoners in prison for longer considering it cost between £30-40k a year to keep someone detained is a waste of more money which we have not got.

As I understood it - It always was a 50% reduction on sentence for those doing 12 months or less and 33% on 12 months or over - So nothings change there either, Like most people I'd like to see longer sentences for violent crime's. I would also like to see violent crimes commited by those seeking or having been granted Asylum, have there licence to live in the UK withdrawn and for the said party to be deported on the day of conviction, no time in prison at our expence, Their family will have the choice to stay here or join him/her.

As I understood it - It always was a 50% reduction on sentence for those doing 12 months or less and 33% on 12 months or over - So nothings change there either, Like most people I'd like to see longer sentences for violent crime's. I would also like to see violent crimes commited by those seeking or having been granted Asylum, have there licence to live in the UK withdrawn and for the said party to be deported on the day of conviction, no time in prison at our expence, Their family will have the choice to stay here or join him/her.

I think it was always 50% off for good behaviour regardless of sentence length. The new 1/3 reduction maximum on the EPP sentences is a replacement for IPP's. Withe the IPP's the sentence was fairly irrelevant, the offender had to show they no longer posed a threat before being released, so if they continued to pose a threat it could effectively be a whole life tariff. SAo the new "tough" law is actually a lot more lenient and ineffective at keeping serious offenders who pose a danger off the streets.

Archived