Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

artisan

The Fine Fare site used to be the Heeley Colliseum.

yes thats right. it was the colliseuum, with a guy called leo who was the usher. he used to dress in all the facy gear hat and all. we used to give him hell and he once chucked snuff in my mates eyes.:loopy:

Wow, small world.

Ask if she lived next to a mad doberman pinscher dog named Prince!!

Where abouts in Canada? Been to Calgary 3 times with work this year!!:D

I will be phoning her this weekend, will let you know.

I live about 45 minutes east of Toronto.

Cities are named after Yorkshire locations, guess the first settlers were from good old Yorkshire.

Going east-- Toronto- Scarborough- Pickering- Ajax (after the battleship)

and Whitby.

Cynthia.

I will be phoning her this weekend, will let you know.

I live about 45 minutes east of Toronto.

Cities are named after Yorkshire locations, guess the first settlers were from good old Yorkshire.

Going east-- Toronto- Scarborough- Pickering- Ajax (after the battleship)

and Whitby.

Cynthia.

Cheers we lived there from 1969 to when they chucked us out!!

• 2 weeks later...

my father charlie edwards used to play cricket for the myrtle pub m.c.c, myrtle cricket club peako the coal man used to play as well earnest edwards ,arthur edwards of tillotson road. and morris edwards also played and to top it all myra edwards of rushdale road was the scorer this was in the early 1950,s anyone else remember.the cricket pitch used to be up arberthourne above the ball in ground at the side of some pig stys

Walter Phillips, at the pork shop AFAIR, only had a son ... Young Walter as he was known ... don't think he ever married but I could be wrong was only a child at the time.

Jessie Pashley's shop was further up past the bottom of Albert Road ... maybe where In A Nutshell is now. We used to be sent there to get pork sandwiches sometimes ... yummy they were too! Although we mostly got pork from Mr Phillips shop.

The chippy was a chinese chippy in the 60s called the Sun? They used to do these rissole things called savoury cakes, they were lovely!!

Trying to remember the shops when I was a teen, Proctors(mum always got potted meat from there, home made, I think and sugared almonds, Ponsfords had about four or five of the shops, then the Rendezvous coffee bar, a greengrocers, The Sun chinese chip shop, White Lion, then Kings the Grocer, then the genuine USA style Bendix Launderette at the bottom of Artisan View, Freddie Wood's barbers and hair salon, a wet fish shop, another greengrocer, gregorys bakers, Walter Phillips pork shop, don't know whether the bookies was there then, then the motor bike shop (which used to be Wigfalls years before), Thirlwell Rd, Red Lion, Albert Road, Crown Inn, then a little sweetie cum all sorts shop which was once a pig shed or something, I can't remember anymore till Taylors at the corner of Meersbrook Park Road and the Co-Op on the other corner ..

god i used to love those savoury cakes,never found anywhere else that did them

my memories of heeley bottom in the early 60s.the tremendous noise and steam from the steam engines.a fire at ponsfords furniture shop.gerry booth from coronation street opening heeley picture palace as a bingo hall-i think?chinese laundry.playing underneath heeley bridge and skimming stones.getting bath tickets from annes road school and going to heeley baths.boys brigade marches.salvation army playing hymns on a sunday morning.the rag and bone man with his horse and cart giving balloons and goldfish in return for rags.

I wonder why we all remember Heeley so much, it's like being in a very elite club

and by the sound of us all, we seemed so happy even though times were hard,so was there something special about Heeley?I know we all think so, but why is it that we all seem to refleck back with so much happiness.