Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

artisan

Yes Chris I remember most of Jayne's friends,Julie was her best friend along with Vicky.My mate's were Andrew ( Butch) Bullen,Shaun Shackleton,Glenn Oxley,Len Yates.When I was 11 yrs old 1967 I had a 12 month stay in hospital due to a hip problem & I had to wear calipers & came out in Dec 1967,and I went with my Mum to sunday school & Rev Jenkins said I would have to come back next week as I was 5 minutes late,it took me 15 minutes from our house to the church,I was devastated,I had been going to the Heeley church since I was 4 & could not understand why Rev Jenkins had turned me away.But I got over it & his son was a gentle giant who we used to talk too.You can send private message's after 5 post's ,let me know your surname & I can tell our Jayne you have been in touch,she lives in Hoyland,Barnsley like me ,I have been there for nearly 30 years & getting ready for my 50th very shortly,time has flown by,but it is great to hear from you.Cheers Tosh

• 4 months later...
can anyone remember bon marche , the ladies clothes shop. it was nest to the army stores

I can remember the shop I use to go in with my Mum,I was born on Alderney Road in 1969 then moved to Highfields when I was 6.I have great memories of living down Heeley Bottom what a great childhood playing on the cobbles dodging the work lorries while you picked the tar buttons off the cobbles.I LOVED IT

Someone wanted to know the name of the motorbike shop: Rainbow Motorcycles. I think the shop is still there, but it's called Manhatten now. I wouldn't say that was on Heeley Bottom though. I would say Heeley Bottom was between the railway bridge and the traffic lights (start of Queens Road?). Is there an official demarkation?

The pub on Myrtle Road/Alexandra Road was indeed called the Myrtle which was run by Eric and Helen Staniforth.

My grandfather Albert Norton and all my family were regulars there for many years until 1973 when Albert sadly died.

The Staniforths had two or maybe three daughters which we kids used to play with in their back living room sometimes whilst the family was in the pub!

Where we lived on Alexandra Road was right next door to George Bowers the milkman, he ran the business with Stanley Quincey, two really good chaps who both died within a short time of each other, they never even had chance to enjoy retirement.

I remember a policeman lived on Alexandra Road, don't recall his name but, he saw me smoking one day and he asked me whether my mother knew I smoked. Naturally, I wasn't going to admit she didn't so I replied that of course she did which prompted him to set off to ask my mum. I had to come clean that she didn't know so he said he would let me off provided that I stopped smoking which I did, but not until about 10 years later, I just made sure that he never saw me! We used to go down to the City Surveyors ground where no-one could see you smoking.

Keep this Heeley thread going as it's fascinating to see so many people with such fond memories.

Does anyone remember the people who lived on Prospect Road called Goodison? I've been trying to trace them for family history research.

Regards,

Mo

Yes I can remember the hole in the wall of the Heeley Palace, and I can remember the horrow films which they had on every Sunday. We weren't quite old enought to get in so us to go to my mates house and slap on the makeup. Spent hours in the Teen Bar and use to go hiking with them on Sundays taking the train from Heeley Station, As I remember every Sunday was sunny and we use to spend the whole day clambering about on Winnetts Pass at Castleton. Such great days in the late 50s

I used to go in the Teenbar a bit in 1956-7 . Couldn't go in too often as we didn't live near there but Heeley was a popular place to meet up and the Teenbar was quite famous { I think it was an experiment by someone or other to combine the Youth Club and the Coffee Bar and one in the East End of London and the Sheffield one were the first two in the U.K.}

We also used to go regularly to Castleton on Sundays, catching the 10 a.m. train from the Midland Station.We got up to some strange antics on the journeys there and back, which are not suitable to mention on a Family- type Forum ! Needless to say, our main aim in going to Castleton wasn't hiking or climbing.There were often gang fights in or around Castleton between the Sheffield lot and gangs who came from Manchester and the police were always scouting around and the railway police were apt to patrol the trains too.

We'd generally get back to Sheffield early evening and try to get to see a good film to round things off. I remember I met a really nice girl from the Manor, called Stella, on one of the Castleton trips and went out with her for a time.

Apart from the Teenbar there was also the Plumtree cafe and the Oak Tree .Later, aged about 17, it was the pubs round Heeley and anyhere else that would serve us under-age.

As you say, Heeley Girl, great days, the late '50's-------the beginning, more or less, of teenage power!

Yes I can remember the hole in the wall of the Heeley Palace, and I can remember the horrow films which they had on every Sunday. We weren't quite old enought to get in so us to go to my mates house and slap on the makeup. Spent hours in the Teen Bar and use to go hiking with them on Sundays taking the train from Heeley Station, As I remember every Sunday was sunny and we use to spend the whole day clambering about on Winnetts Pass at Castleton. Such great days in the late 50s

I remember my brothers hiding in the hole in the wall and jumping out to scare me and my Mum while walking to Meersbrrook Park.,Alot of the time we never got to the park for moaning how far it was so we use to stop at the Red Lion for a drink and play in the beer garden,but my god we were happy kids.

Does anyone remember the fishshop at the bottom of Boyton Street? There used to be queues around the corner and up Well Road.

That was Mrs Scales who ran it with her son, Kenneth

Used to ask for a threpny and a fourpny, wi scraps and salt and vinegar.

Three old pennies for chips and four for fish, feed a family of four for 2/4d (lessthan 12p) :thumbsup: you have to take out a bank loan to get fish and chips these days.

My mother used to say, dont go too early, they'll give you last nights warmed up :D

Fish and chips from there, a bottle of Jusoda and a Mars bar from Mrs Newcombes and it was a real feast.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...