Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

artisan

surely not its front entrance was on London road I worked there in 1958

I think that the box office and entrance was on Guernsey Road but the main exit doors were on London Rd.

I also think that the forthcoming attractions posters and photos were at the front too, but not sure about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived on Prospect Square,which sounds very posh, but was actually a gennel running off Prospect Rd., down towards the river and train lines.I used to climb the river wall like a monkey.It was about 30 ft. high.I remember the Buckleys. Oldales, Haddans,who all lived in "our yard".Also, Wostenholmes barber shop, which was at the top of the gennel.Happy days.I remember having to hold on to the washing line to go to the bog when snow was on the ground.

Lived at woodseats so used to through heeley on the 63 bus (Before the servcie was changed and became the 75/6) like the rest remember fine fare , the newsagents next to the bridge inn (Where the tile place is) .

Also remember siting on the bench seat of a weyman / regent v when it went through the flood at heeley brdige the conductress got her feet wet I got a clip round the ear from mother for laughing.

Also rember the shops on both sides of queens road near the earl of arundle ....

The chip shop next to it 9Was it called walkers) then the newsagents and all the other little shops also remember those on the other side again a newsagents where the opticians is now.

I can also remember but not doubt will be told I am wrong:

The car sales pitch on what is now halfords wasnt there very long probably around 3 months suspect it was a temp one before it opened where it is now next to the closed washer shop. About the only shops to survive are mallins pork shop and the tv/ radio shop .

i also remmber the houses at the back of the school, and all the houses and shops where the car sales is oposite the pub.

The works at the junction of queens road and myrtle road.

Its a piity all the shops have gone at least in woodseats some have survived and there are supermarkets which there arnt in Heeley

Can anyone say if the iron railings are still there under Heeley railway bridge on the raised pavement ?

According to Mary Walton, the Sheffield historian, these railings used to stand alongside the cottages opposite the bottom of Sharrow lane and when these were demolished to widen London road, the railings were re-used under Heeley railway bridge.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s05716

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s17635

I lived on Prospect Square,which sounds very posh, but was actually a gennel running off Prospect Rd., down towards the river and train lines.I used to climb the river wall like a monkey.It was about 30 ft. high.I remember the Buckleys. Oldales, Haddans,who all lived in "our yard".Also, Wostenholmes barber shop, which was at the top of the gennel.Happy days.I remember having to hold on to the washing line to go to the bog when snow was on the ground.

The Buckley's would that be Phil Buckley he was my best mate.