Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

artisan

Hi heeleybird I know I'm a bit late but just read your post from Nov 2011, the animal feed shop was called Scolies (not sure of spelling). And the gift shop was Kenderdines the two ladies were Mrs K and Mrs Butler. Don't forget W Goodrich butchers (I had a Saturday job there) Clarks the grocery shop. And the tobacconist wife who owned and ran the wool shop.

I left the area in the early seventies after being born and bread there. Bet I wouldn't know the place now but remember lots of great people.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 20:38 ----------

Don't know how my post got on here I posted it to Heeleybird about shops at the bottom of valley road. However something may come of it.

You're right about Harold Brooks Woggle :D

Mrs Nora Fry of the bakers shop was my Grandmother & I would quite often assist :huh:(age 4 or 5), especially if the customer usually tipped. ;). We lived at the opposite side of the gennel, 4 houses away in the back to back's, so I used to go to Brocks for my grandfather's Green Un which was a great adventure for me, especially as I used to ask for a 'Green One'.

I remember Mrs Frys oatcakes, they were legendary

Anyone recollect Thompsons bicycle shop at Heeley on Chesterfield Rd? The owner built cycle frames with a metal badge soldered to the headtube in the form of a letter T. He also owned the Pewit cyclists' cafe at Owler Bar. I first visited the shop in 1953,but left Sheffield in 1957. What happened to the businesses and owner?

• 6 months later...
Yup, Joan and Rita and Marjorie. I had a photo of Marjorie and I on our way up Valley Road, on our first day at school. But my daft dad threw all his old photos away!

Where abouts did you live on Valley road?

Hi Duffems,

Sorry for the delay in answering, we lived at 136 Valley Road. Does anyone remember the off-license at the bottom of Valley Road? If Marjorie Fisher is reading this, it would be nice to talk to you via my email (mick58ward@aol.co.uk).

I haven't seen Joan Fisher since our Carfield days, she went on to Newfield and I to Brincliffe Grammar School. Joan would be 66/67 now, I've just had my 67th. birthday.

Didn't the off-license at the bottom of Valley Road become Larders Chemists, I worked there from 1967-70.

Regards,

Duffems

My cousin Ernie and I got chucked out of the Collie by Leo because Ernie shouted out the F word in astonishment when he saw Jane Russell in "Outlaw", so we ended up in the snooker hall at the top of Broadfield Road, under age of course.
Leo chucked us all out in our turn

Anyone recollect Thompsons bicycle shop at Heeley on Chesterfield Rd? The owner built cycle frames with a metal badge soldered to the headtube in the form of a letter T. He also owned the Pewit cyclists' cafe at Owler Bar. I first visited the shop in 1953,but left Sheffield in 1957. What happened to the businesses and owner?

I might be wrong but I think the bike shop was owned my mr simpson in the early sixties I went to school with a lad who must have been his son.

Strange, the things you find out about after 30-odd years of marriage!

Watching some crappy TV programme at the weekend prompted my wife to suddenly announce that she wondered where all her Sheffield swimming medals had gone to...

Complete news to me, but apparently she used to swim for the City/County when she was a teenager, but had all her medals stolen during a burglary around Saxon Road, Heeley...about 40 years ago!

So if anyone has some medals - one of them from Fattorini's apparently! - engraved with the surname 'MOREMENT' on the back, she'd like them back, please!