Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

artisan

Many thanks- a daughter of the butcher married an uncle of mine, both since long gone but I can cross check it now with various BMDs available online.
the butchers name of phillips has been there in the same place for many years ,( well over 35 years ) and is now still there today and still in business as phillips pork butchers , it is situated just below the red lion pub , hope this helps you .

Many thanks- a daughter of the butcher married an uncle of mine, both since long gone but I can cross check it now with various BMDs available online.

Walter Phillips, at the pork shop AFAIR, only had a son ... Young Walter as he was known ... don't think he ever married but I could be wrong was only a child at the time.

Jessie Pashley's shop was further up past the bottom of Albert Road ... maybe where In A Nutshell is now. We used to be sent there to get pork sandwiches sometimes ... yummy they were too! Although we mostly got pork from Mr Phillips shop.

The chippy was a chinese chippy in the 60s called the Sun? They used to do these rissole things called savoury cakes, they were lovely!!

Trying to remember the shops when I was a teen, Proctors(mum always got potted meat from there, home made, I think and sugared almonds, Ponsfords had about four or five of the shops, then the Rendezvous coffee bar, a greengrocers, The Sun chinese chip shop, White Lion, then Kings the Grocer, then the genuine USA style Bendix Launderette at the bottom of Artisan View, Freddie Wood's barbers and hair salon, a wet fish shop, another greengrocer, gregorys bakers, Walter Phillips pork shop, don't know whether the bookies was there then, then the motor bike shop (which used to be Wigfalls years before), Thirlwell Rd, Red Lion, Albert Road, Crown Inn, then a little sweetie cum all sorts shop which was once a pig shed or something, I can't remember anymore till Taylors at the corner of Meersbrook Park Road and the Co-Op on the other corner ..

YAY!!! ur right .... Copleys!! they had another one on Abbeydale Rd near the Gatefield Club ....
yes thats it copleys and before that in the early 70s it was m j price's pet store then next to that was benhaven motor company later to be a motor bike shop , thirlwell road then the red lion pub .

Rubydazzler, yes you're right, you also remember the little black hole at the bus stop.Now another thing, do you remember a sweet shop at the corner of Well Road(I think) opposite corner to the Heeley Palace.I can remember looking in the window, with eyes as big as saucers to an Easter egg which was the size of a huge rugby ball, can you remember that?

I am sure that my sister-in-law lived at 65.

The shop on the corner (that is now Ponsfords) was a bakery,confectionery & sweets owned by Proctor's, the son's set up in business as- Proctors Haulage & Storage.

Cynthia, Canada.

Wow, small world.

Ask if she lived next to a mad doberman pinscher dog named Prince!!

Where abouts in Canada? Been to Calgary 3 times with work this year!!:D