My coat got torn on a faulty display at asda, what's my rights?

To be fair cable ties can be quite dangerous when trimmed, those of us that use them regularly will know this only too well, so luckily a child didn't brush against it as they can cut real deep, for this reason i hope the OP reported it.

As for recompense, i'd say she had a strong case for a new coat, morally.

Paper can be quite dangerous too. I've seen lots of it used for printing stuff on, maybe I should inform people.

You have the right not to walk into everything.

Whats next, sueing the council for dry cleaning because you fall over in the park?

You wouldn't expect a park to be clean, you would expect a supermarket to be free of sharp things sticking out of displays though.

None. You were not hurt. Nobody did any deliberate negligence. Nobody has done anything that could cause harm.

Dont be so clumsy in future and keep a look out.

Ever stubbed your toe?, ever bumped your head?, ever broke a cup or plate?, ever dropped any food on your lap or down your top?. Get over it.

If you dropped a cup or plate in Asda, they'd probably expect you to pay for it.

John Lewis once gave me a pair of trainers when I caught mine in the escalator and it pulled the front piece of rubber off. The manager was very kind, he sent me shoe shopping, with a budget, told me to come back with the trainers and receipt, I did and he gave me the money for them! I quite enjoyed it. I'd do it again!

To be fair cable ties can be quite dangerous when trimmed, those of us that use them regularly will know this only too well, so luckily a child didn't brush against it as they can cut real deep, for this reason i hope the OP reported it.

As for recompense, i'd say she had a strong case for a new coat, morally.

Or a sewing needle and a bobbin of cotton.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 18:54 ----------

You wouldn't expect a park to be clean, you would expect a supermarket to be free of sharp things sticking out of displays though.

You would also expect grown adults to exercise a little common sense.

Write A letter stating the day , date & time this happened, and which store. Explain what happened and if they want to check it out, they could check the cctv because, you will be seen examining your coat wont you?

They probably will compensate you in some way..people who are taking the mick dont realise that, people should complain when things like this happen because, companies learn from such and it helps when re-newing policies & procedures & stops it happening again....Hopefully.......Good Luck!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Or a sewing needle and a bobbin of cotton.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 18:54 ----------

You would also expect grown adults to exercise a little common sense.

Is common sense like armour? Does it stop sharp things from cutting?

I would have been annoyed too if I had ripped my coat because of their slackness...especially if it was an expensive coat

I am sure if you speak to the manager and explain what happened they will be more than happy to compensate you in some way

no retailer wants a bad name, and most of the big retailers are big on customer service

so give it a go, I would :)

Archived