Loyalist foolishness

They as in the people who decided to riot.

Yes i realised that when i read your post properly,which might have been a good idea to have done before passing my own comment.:blush:

The comment was really directed at bigotry in general though.

Not necessarily, look at Hong Kong. But regardless, the principle remains the same, you wouldn't like to be ruled over by Pakistan or perhaps some nice African dictator. Why should the Irish be exempt from choosing that they do not wish to be governed by another nation and instead have their own state which recognises their own individual culture and rules for the benefit of the Irish rather than being run for the benefit of an overseas populace who have a history of monstrous, cruel, exploitative and mercenary behaviour towards other countries which they have ruled over.

You can't just say 'Oh well that wouldn't happen' because similar happened to the Irish for centuries and they didn't like it any more than you would.

Do you think that a united Ireland could go it alone financially? I mean without subsidies from England?

I think you are really describing republicanism,as many nationalist movements have been led by non-elected leaders,and resurrected monarchs.

I'm not describing Republicanism, although of course that is part of Irish nationalism due to the system we have in the UK. The fact that we happen to have a monarch is irrelevant, we could have a President from the monster raving Looney party or elect a cat as head of state or whatever, but as the Irish see themselves as a nation it still wouldn't stop them wanting to have the freedom to determine themselves how they are governed and by whom.

I was simply saying that is a type of nationalism, it's not necessarily a case of the simplistic 'blood and soil' nationalism of the right wing. In fact Irish nationalism has traditionally been a very left wing movement.

As an Englishman I really wish that Ireland would become totally independent of England. I for one have had enough of their fights and squabbles. Just let them get on with it and sort their own problems out.

WE DO NOT NEED THEM!!!

Do you think that a united Ireland could go it alone financially? I mean without subsidies from England?

The republic of Ireland has always managed fine, it's going through some bumpy times at the moment but they manage.

I'm not sure that it would be easy to keep the peace in a Northern Ireland which was still split without subsidies from the British though.

I don't think it will (or should) happen for some time though, it would be far to an extreme thing to do at the moment. We need to keep working with the two state solution and continue small steps of integration with the republic while maintaining the links with the UK IMHO.

The republic of Ireland has always managed fine, it's going through some bumpy times at the moment but they manage.

I'm not sure that it would be easy to keep the peace in a Northern Ireland which was still split without subsidies from the British though.

I don't think it will (or should) happen for some time though, it would be far to an extreme thing to do at the moment. We need to keep working with the two state solution and continue small steps of integration with the republic while maintaining the links with the UK IMHO.

Maybe we should not interfere at all in Northern Ireland. Once the bloodbath had finished the calm would ensue. Maybe we should let them get on with it?

As an Englishman I really wish that Ireland would become totally independent of England. I for one have had enough of their fights and squabbles. Just let them get on with it and sort their own problems out.

WE DO NOT NEED THEM!!!

Ireland is not tied to England but Ulster is part of the UK.Do you really feel qualified to post such outrageous views given your lack of a basic history?

Ireland is not tied to England but Ulster is part of the UK.Do you really feel qualified to post such outrageous views given your lack of a basic history?

Yes I do. I believe that England , Ireland, Scotland and Wales should all be self governing and the UK abolished. They should all stand or fall on their own as totally independent entities.

Yes I do. I believe that England , Ireland, Scotland and Wales should all be self governing and the UK abolished. They should all stand or fall on their own as totally independent entities.

What about setting up a federal system with Yorkshire becoming a state,with Pontefract as its capital?Its got a castle and makes sweets.

What about setting up a federal system with Yorkshire becoming a state,with Pontefract as its capital?Its got a castle and makes sweets.

Is that an attempt at humour? Pontefract is a part ot the COUNTRY of ENGLAND. Fife is in SCOTLAND! We are talking countries here not towns or counties. Most Scottish people do not want independence because the English subsidise them up to the eyeballs!

Archived