Loyalist foolishness

Pointless violence is hardly new to sectarian land. However given that stuff that seems trivial to us seems to drive both sides into a murderous rage I'm surprised at the Alliance "compromise". Had they gone with 1 week up 1 week down or similar it could be sold as a compromise, I can't see how giving Sinn Fein 95% of what they want is going to be sold as a compromise.

Garry Kelly bemoaning attacks on public buildings is a tad ironic though, given his murderous record in blowing them up.

There is an Orange Parade every year in Scarborough...I bet that is a surprise for many here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GXFcLHObA

There used to be a bloke who used the Upper Heeley Club ,every Orange day he would turn up in his bowler hat and with an orange sash and flag he would play a tin whistle and get all the club marching round like nutcases.

His name was David Hegarty he lived near the Ball Inn on Midhill Rd.

I grew up with a friend who was a strong Scottish protestant, and at his house he had cds of marching music. By 14 I knew all about the Jacobites and good ol' William of Orange. A better education than I ever got at school.

As I got older and judged it for myself though; it's bonkers, the lot of it. Celebrating a 17th century battle. Mad. Beyond mad. It's only a short step from that into the uglyness that Ireland has been steeped in for the past 100 years.

I grew up with a friend who was a strong Scottish protestant, and at his house he had cds of marching music. By 14 I knew all about the Jacobites and good ol' William of Orange. A better education than I ever got at school.

As I got older and judged it for myself though; it's bonkers, the lot of it. Celebrating a 17th century battle. Mad. Beyond mad. It's only a short step from that into the uglyness that Ireland has been steeped in for the past 100 years.

Do you think we'd be better off as a Catholic country like Ireland?

Do you think we'd be better off as a Catholic country like Ireland?

Distinctly not. That doesn't justify chasing out a Catholic monarch and replacing him with a Dutchman though. There's the bigger question of whether the Glorious Revolution was a good thing? It made sense for the 1690s. In that context I can see the attraction for people. The Stuarts had proven continually that they were not the best people to have any form of power.

If I go beyond that, I'd be playing with alternative history, which I don't enjoy.

Archived