Loyalist foolishness

funny how the thread (about LOYALISTS) gets hijacked and turned around to have a go at the nationalists instead????

what i read in the paper was that

A: nationalists wanted the flags down permently.

B: the powers that be had a meeting and decided it could fly on 17 special days

C: its the LOYALISTS that spat the dummy out, as far as im aware the nationalists were ok about it still flying for those 17 days?

funny how the thread (about LOYALISTS) gets hijacked and turned around to have a go at the nationalists instead????

C: its the LOYALISTS that spat the dummy out, as far as im aware the nationalists were ok about it still flying for those 17 days?

There were two initial contrasting proposals

A) Flag flown 365 days a year

B) Flag flown 0 days a year

The Alliance came up with a "middle ground" proposal of

C) Flag flown 17 days a year

You don't have to be stephen hawking to work out that's a tad skewed to one side.

There were two initial contrasting proposals

A) Flag flown 365 days a year

B) Flag flown 0 days a year

The Alliance came up with a "middle ground" proposal of

C) Flag flown 17 days a year

You don't have to be stephen hawking to work out that's a tad skewed to one side.

huh?

to me thats in the middle of both sides????

ie:-

nationalists wanted it flown = 0

loyalists wanted it flown = 365

they chose special days, to me thats correct, how else would they agree to fly it? every second day? every day at 1pm for an hour?

they chose neither groups desired outcome but it was ONLY loyalists who spat the dummy out that im aware of, as i said

i really dont think they chose the 17 as its closer to the nationalists zero choice, thats just paranoia, id be interested to hear what the 17 special days are tho

huh?

to me thats in the middle of both sides????

ie:-

nationalists wanted it flown = 0

loyalists wanted it flown = 365

they chose special days, to me thats correct, how else would they agree to fly it? every second day? every day at 1pm for an hour?

they chose neither groups desired outcome but it was ONLY loyalists who spat the dummy out that im aware of, as i said

i really dont think they chose the 17 as its closer to the nationalists zero choice, thats just paranoia, id be interested to hear what the 17 special days are tho

Do you think sinn fien would have gone for "pick 17 days when we won't fly the flag" as a fair compromise? Pat Finucane's birthday, Bloody Sunday, Pat Finucane's graduation day, Pat Finucane's first cat's birthday etc?

It's not a compromise, it's the Alliance siding with sinn fein and the Alliance hold the balance of power on the council. For now, I doubt that'll be the case at the next election.

Obviously I was as distressed as anybody in this country was the day 9/11 happened. I merely found a lot of satisfaction in getting back at an ignorant individual.

He was an isolated case in my part of the world. Southern California is not New York or Boston and there's no significant tie or cultural identity with the Irish or Ireland as is back east nor were assholes from Noraid ever seen collecting funds for the IRA.

9/11 was indeed a terrible thing and I wouldn't want to take anything away from that. I think, hope at least, a lot of people in the US who had been donating to Noraid had their eyes opened to what they really had been funding all those years.

Anybody here of any ethnicity finds St Patricks Day an excuse for few brews at the local watering hole. There's always the plastic leprechaun which make a brief appearance behind the bar and even the Mexican waitress wears a green shirt for a day :D

Similarly here - St Patrick's Day should really be renamed to St Guinness's Day. ;)

Ireland was partitioned to deny Catholics in the six counties their right to self-determination. There has been anti-Catholic discrimination there ever since. Ireland will be reunited when a majority of the inhabitants of the six counties want it and all the constitutional changes are agreed with Eire. It may take decades but it will happen.

Three divisions above Rangers and into the Champoins League knockouts that would be.

The IRA has disbanded, decomissioned all its weapons and is now an integral part of the peace process. It doesn't exist anymore to support but some people on the British far right can't accept that Irish Republicanism has been the big winner in the peace process.

Ah that old chestnut. I am anti IRA therefore I must be on the British far right. That logic can only come from the IRA supporting hard left. Everyone should benefit from the peace process. If you think your comrades in the IRA have fully disbanded you are very naive. Why are they still murdering?

If we're discussing sectarian mentality, difficult to exclude them isn't it?

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is it not? So why do nationalist councillors want to remove the UK flag from their Town Hall? Sectarianism perhaps on the part of the nationalists?

Archived