Australia introduces "gore" packaging for cigarettes. Will UK follow suit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20559585

http://news.sky.com/story/1019156/uk-eyes-ozs-tough-anti-smoking-laws

Australia has become the first country in the world to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes.

From now, all tobacco company logos and colours will be banned from packets.

They have been replaced by a dreary, uniform, green/brown, colour accompanied by a raft of anti-smoking messages and photographs.

The only concession to the tobacco companies is their name and the name of the brand variant in small print at the bottom of the box.

"This is the last gasp of a dying industry," declared Australia's Health Minister Tanya Plibersek.

Anne Jones of the anti-smoking group Ash (Action on Smoking and Health) agrees.

"Plain packaging has taken the personality away from the pack", she says.

"Once you take away all the colour coding and imagery and everything is standardised with massive health warnings, you really do de-glamorise the product."

I'm not sure that I'd want to come across some of those packets in the street. Will the UK follow suit and will they cut smoking?

I don't smoke anymore, but I'd just transfer the fags into a pretty tin so I didn't have to look at the disgusting pictures.. sorted.

I've just been looking on ebay and there's some right pretty tins! With flowers and butterflies and everything!

Not that I'm saying smoking is good.. can tell I didn't actually want to stop though can't you :hihi:

I don't smoke anymore, but I'd just transfer the fags into a pretty tin so I didn't have to look at the disgusting pictures.. sorted.

I've just been looking on ebay and there's some right pretty tins! With flowers and butterflies and everything!

Not that I'm saying smoking is good.. can tell I didn't actually want to stop though can't you :hihi:

But it would be pretty difficult to transfer the cigs without looking at the packet. The fact that you feel the need to remove the pack from your sight would show it made an impact and you were attempting to revert to denial.

But it would be pretty difficult to transfer the cigs without looking at the packet. The fact that you feel the need to remove the pack from your sight would show it made an impact and you were attempting to revert to denial.

But I'm sure everyone who smokes is in denial about the affects. They'd only have to look at the pictures once while they transferred.

Plus you don't notice the pictures anyway, once you've seen them you stop noticing them so unless they constantly changed them they'd lose the shock factor anyway.

Not necessarily,it may just not be nice to look at a big eye looking at you while your eating a steak.

I think the UK has probably gone a bit too far already in anti-smoking measures on public health grounds, and it's turning vindictive against smokers. (I don't have a horse in this race.)

This will be good for the sale of cigarette cases, I'm sure.

Just one question......If they are all the same type packets and no name on them,If you asked for 20 benson,how would they know one from the other?

From the OP -

The only concession to the tobacco companies is their name and the name of the brand variant in small print at the bottom of the box.

Archived