Do you work the Night shift....

Ive just had my tea.... its 342am... what a stupid time to eat... how many night workers do we have on here and what do you do on your days off, do you try to get back in to the normal sleep pattens or do you simply stay up late at home so you dont mess your body clock about?? when i get a day/night off it naffs me up the first night back is a killer....:gag:

advice?

I dont work nights no more but used to several years ago.

If i was on nights the follwoing night i'd want 7 to 8 hours sleep so used to wake in the mid-afternoon. If it was my day off then i used to have 2 hours only and get up mid-mornoing so not waste the day. Although i do remember they were hazy days :D

Yeah.... I work a Continental shift pattern but the nights don't bother me really.... the only draw back is that our nights begin on a Sunday but the plus is they end on a Thursday.... if I am due any lieu days I tend to take them on a Sunday night as it does mess up your weekend having to get some kip in the afternoon.... I do find it hard to eat on nights, It's like my body is telling me this is wrong.... I also find it hard to sleep during the day.... specially in the warmer weather but I don't sleep much at the best of times.... so all is fair.

The only advice I could give about working nights is take cereal in with you.... I find this easier to consume instead of something from the canteen and have something solid before you go in. Oh! and if you can sidle off for a quick nap.... grab it. :D

The sleep pattern is something you learn to live with and your sleep depends on your needs.... If you're new to it then don't worry.... you will adjust.

I work mornings and nights. When im on Monday night i try and stay up late Sunday night and lay in Monday morning to try and adjust for Monday nights shift.

Ive just woken up from Thursday nights shift and wont be able to sleep tonight! Ive tried getting up earlier after my last shift, but I just end up feeling tired and ratty all day.

My hubby works 3 shifts - mornings afternoons and nights.

He does find it difficult to adapt to the change of shift from week to week with varying sleeping/eating patterns and often gets headaches through lack of sleep or food. (He is the subject of my signature :D )

It does have it's advantages though as he doesn't work weekends (apart from Sunday nights) and can get to spend more time with the kids.

It just means that we have to spend a lot more time planning things 'around' his shift as they change from week to week.

He finds afternoons the hardest though - says he's just hanging about waiting to go to work in the morning, but still refuses to do all the jobs I line up for him. :hihi:

Yup, 12 hour shifts - 2 days 2 nights 7 - 7. The difficult one is the days till nights swap over, by 5 in the morning on the first night I'm knackered - Giving the other half a lift into work at 8:00 in the morning following work can be hard, although yet to run any school kids over ;)

I do suffer from the ability to sleep any time I want, which is a blessing working shifts...

• 4 years later...

I'm currently looking for night\continental work due to wanting to spend more time with my 10 month old daughter. If there's anybody who know's of company's employing i'd greatly appreciate any feedback thankyou in advance.

Edited by Sim0n

I generally work nights. I use Blackout blinds which are good to keep your room dark so you can catch up on sleep. Also dont allow myself to lie in bed for longer than "normal" eg my alarm is usually on for 6 or 7 hours after I go to bed, stops you getting into a lazy lethargic mindset which can be problematic for night workers. No food before bedtime either and I stop drinking coffee about 1 to 2 hours before the end of my shift.