JSA, Income Support, ESA and Child benefit all to be CUT

You're not alone. A lot of people share your view.

But maybe something to have a think about - if the birth rate falls below a certain point then the age profile of the population will become heavily weighted towards older age groups. There would be fewer young people, fewer people working, fewer people paying taxes, fewer people to look after the old. What taxes were collected would be spent disproportionately on the old. This is exactly the demographic timebomb Germany and Japan are facing in the coming decades. Clearly we have similar issues but our higher birth rate should offset it to a degree.

Speaking as someone that hasn't got to pension age yet, I wouldn't have a problem working longer which will help to solve that particular problem.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 16:00 ----------

Most of that rise took place from 2000 to 2007 though, and it then fell for a bit, and has been flat since.

Yep and I think the last government and this one will do everything they can to stop it dropping, my guess is they want house price stagnation until they are back to their long term trend.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 16:06 ----------

Thats a worrying point of view but very valid. However if the population rises so we can pay for those living lonber then in years time there will be more people living longer. So its just going to make the current situation worse not better when we should be encouraging people to have less children or not at all.

That’s a very good point but unfortunately humans tend to be very selfish or very optimistic, some don’t care that it creates a problem for someone else, and some think the answer to that problem is just round the corner, so there’s no need to worry about it. :)

Maybe the government could use a better idea, to raise money.

If pensioners, or disabled people want free travel, make them make a nominal donation of around £10 per year for their pass. The good thing with this, it would stop people who don't need one, getting one. This wouldn't save much I know, but little things may help.

If pensioners, or disabled people want free travel, make them make a nominal donation of around £10 per year for their pass. The good thing with this, it would stop people who don't need one, getting one. This wouldn't save much I know, but little things may help.

Sensible idea! I like it.

Good idea.

The problem is most things that are totally free are abused.

That includes GP's and a&e.

Well it is official.

Rises capped to 1% over the next 3 years.

I see the Labour Apparatchik's are taking to Twitter and proudly declaring they voted against "the tax on working families." Will someone please tell them that a reduction in the increase of a hand out is not a tax. This is why Labour are unelectable.

I see the Labour Apparatchik's are taking to Twitter and proudly declaring they voted against "the tax on working families." Will someone please tell them that a reduction in the increase of a hand out is not a tax. This is why Labour are unelectable.

Can you imagine what would happen to this country if workers on benefits went on strike?

The country would grind to a halt.

---------- Post added 08-01-2013 at 20:49 ----------

Excellent news benefits paid to non-workers by those who do work are capped. My faith in parliamentary democracy is restored.

The funny thing is, many workers on benefit are going to lose out.

Many workers get more in in-work benefits, than they would on the dole. Particularly working families.

Archived