Police telling drivers to turn car engine off in heavy traffic?

Driving back from Heathrow yesterday and the Police told me and other drivers on the north circular to turn their engine off in heavy traffic for environmetal reasons, I'm no expert but doesn't the average car use more fuel simply by starting up again which would then equal more pollution?

Driving back from Heathrow yesterday and the Police told me and other drivers on the north circular to turn their engine off in heavy traffic for environmetal reasons, I'm no expert but doesn't the average car use more fuel simply by starting up again which would then equal more pollution?

I think you need to lay off the Class A

Its April 1st already is it??

In many countries it is a contravention of traffic law to have your motor running in stationary traffic for more than a few minutes.

It's not to save you fuel, it's to prevent smog.

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 10:08 ----------

I think you need to lay off the Class A

What kind of a comment is that?

In many countries it is a contravention of traffic law to have your motor running in stationary traffic for more than a few minutes.

It's not to save you fuel, it's to prevent smog.

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 10:08 ----------

Germany has had that law for years

• 3 months later...

To answer your Q OP..

generally if you are stationary for more than a minute its better to turn off your engine. Your car won't suffer as you may expect because when you start it again it will already be warm. You will save fuel and reduce your emissions. If everyone around you does it, it will probably save your air filters a bit too.

Archived