Is the Job Centre acting appropriately?

A friend of mine has found himself in the unfortunate position of having to apply for JSA (the whys and wherefores of this are an utter disgrace, but that is another thread, another time).

He is seeking contributions based JSA. He has received a letter saying that his application for JSA has been rejected as they believe he has not paid sufficient NI contributions, and that he should make a new claim for JSA not based on contributions.

My friend has already been informed by an advisor that he is not entitled to the latter, but that he is definitely entitled to the former. The only number he could ring to clarify the situation from the Job Centre on the letter was an 0845 number. His phone provider charges a premium for 0845 numbers.

He was on the phone over 20 minutes with the Job Centre, and finally he was told he needed to speak to HMRC. He spoke to HMRC, who told him that all his contributions were paid in full up to date, etc and that the Job Centre needed to send a request to HMRC for a specific form so they can confirm this, so he then got back on the job centre on the 0845 number, again for another 20 minutes.

He was told by the Job Centre that they would send a request for the form to HMRC but that this would take 2 weeks. My friend said, 2 weeks, surely it could be done quicker than this, I have just been on the phone to HMRC and received the information over the phone to confirm my position, and he asked why it would take 2 weeks for the Job Centre just to send a form out, which they could not give a reason for.

Is this really acceptable? Is it acceptable to give the poorest no alternative to 0845 numbers? Is the Job Centre deliberately giving people the run around, in an attempt to massage figures? Is it acceptable for delays like this and witholding benefits from those that obviously need them when the information is available to clear this up immediately?

0800 0 55 66 88 is the free number.

Calls can be made from job centres for free (they have phones in them for people to use) - there may be a queue for the phones. All calls to job centres will take longer than 5 minutes to be answered - jobcentre policy.

They take forever in my experience. 1 year for housing benefit once. 6 months for another- an illness related one. They do back date from the date you claim. I don't know what other people do, but I had to additionally apply for a charitable fund to cover the wait for the benefits. It makes it quite difficult to manage bills etc. I don't what people do generally. IME they take ages, and frequently cancel it for no reason. Then, on phoning them, would apologise say it was a mistake, then a few weeks later start it again, sometimes sending a back payment sometimes sending one months later.

Its really awkward financially. You regularly get to poverty line, then with pennies left it kicks in again, and you get a back payment, so you feel in the money, but really it just pays off the over draft from it being stopped. You do need some kind of over draft in place.

I really don't know how anyone manages to get any more money than they are entitled to. The forms are really difficult, and it is a lot of work to keep up with the forms they send randomly.

Your friend can appeal. The time limit may only be about a month but he can keep making fresh claims if he really wants to mess them about. The tax years they base the decision on won't change till April. Has he got all his payslips goingback 2-3 years? He can get income-based JSA if his savings are below £16,000. Website link here https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility or get advice here http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk/get-advice/find-an-advice-service.

A friend of mine has found himself in the unfortunate position of having to apply for JSA (the whys and wherefores of this are an utter disgrace, but that is another thread, another time).

He is seeking contributions based JSA. He has received a letter saying that his application for JSA has been rejected as they believe he has not paid sufficient NI contributions, and that he should make a new claim for JSA not based on contributions.

My friend has already been informed by an advisor that he is not entitled to the latter, but that he is definitely entitled to the former. The only number he could ring to clarify the situation from the Job Centre on the letter was an 0845 number. His phone provider charges a premium for 0845 numbers.

He was on the phone over 20 minutes with the Job Centre, and finally he was told he needed to speak to HMRC. He spoke to HMRC, who told him that all his contributions were paid in full up to date, etc and that the Job Centre needed to send a request to HMRC for a specific form so they can confirm this, so he then got back on the job centre on the 0845 number, again for another 20 minutes.

He was told by the Job Centre that they would send a request for the form to HMRC but that this would take 2 weeks. My friend said, 2 weeks, surely it could be done quicker than this, I have just been on the phone to HMRC and received the information over the phone to confirm my position, and he asked why it would take 2 weeks for the Job Centre just to send a form out, which they could not give a reason for.

Is this really acceptable? Is it acceptable to give the poorest no alternative to 0845 numbers? Is the Job Centre deliberately giving people the run around, in an attempt to massage figures? Is it acceptable for delays like this and witholding benefits from those that obviously need them when the information is available to clear this up immediately?

Sorry to hear this. It's all too common. Unfortunately it seems to be the remit of the jobcentres these days to avoid and delay paying out money for as long as possible, the argument obviously being that if they make it hard enough, a lot of people will give up and go away.

Sorry to say it doesn't stop when benefits are in place. They will use any excuse or the slightest infringement of the rules to stop paying, so you have to start all over again. This is one of the reasons the system is in such a mess.

Just out of interest, do you have a vegatable nursery?

Would you like to come and meet my marrow?:D

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 10:23 ----------

Sorry to hear this. It's all too common. Unfortunately it seems to be the remit of the jobcentres these days to avoid and delay paying out money for as long as possible, the argument obviously being that if they make it hard enough, a lot of people will give up and go away.

Sorry to say it doesn't stop when benefits are in place. They will use any excuse or the slightest infringement of the rules to stop paying, so you have to start all over again. This is one of the reasons the system is in such a mess.

I don't think people realise how difficult it is being made for people the most disadvantaged to get what they are entitled to.:(

Archived