Libellous taxi leaflet?

unless i've misread the op, then they only mention that this firm is not registered in sheffield, they make no mention as to whether or not it is licensed by another council.

i was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly, that taxis couldn't operate outside the council area they are registered in.

as long as the firm isn't registered in sheffield and they can't operate in sheffield then where is the libel?

I think you have. They clearly say that "name ommitted" is operating "ILLEGALLY". They go on to imply that people are putting themselves in danger if they use them and that users of the firm will not be insured etc.

I think you have. They clearly say that "name ommitted" is operating "ILLEGALLY". They go on to imply that people are putting themselves in danger if they use them and that users of the firm will not be insured etc.

if they are not permitted to operate in sheffield then they are operating illegally and any insurance they carry will be invalid.

if they are not permitted to operate in sheffield then they are operating illegally and any insurance they carry will be invalid.

So if I get a taxi in Rotherham I have to change to a Sheffield one at the border?

Similarly if I'm in Sheffield, going into Rotherham and I usually use a Rotherham based firm I'm to call a Sheffield based taxi to take me to the border ?

:loopy:

So if I get a taxi in Rotherham I have to change to a Sheffield one at the border?

Similarly if I'm in Sheffield, going into Rotherham and I usually use a Rotherham based firm I'm to call a Sheffield based taxi to take me to the border ?

:loopy:

Agree :loopy:

Taxi to Manchester Airport please.

There's nothing illegal in living in Sheffield but ringing a Rotherham taxi company for a taxi.

Likewise the company aren't acting illegally in taking the job.

It seems by this leaflet they infer that a particular company is operating illegally in some other way......

The first thing to do with this leaflet because you are so concerned, is to go to Sheffield town hall , find the licensing office (I assume its still in there) and let them see it , ask them if taxi's with none Sheffield licences are able to ply for hire or reward in the City Of Sheffield Metropolitan District.

Ascertain that if they are able to ply for hire then does it affect the statutory rights of any one using the said taxi – or more correctly private hire vehicle – I'm assuming these are not black cabs.

The reply s you get will then mean that any decision you make will based on the actual facts.

From what I understand it is legal for taxi companies from out side the area to pick up in another area , other wise it would get very complicated where towns merge i.e. Salford, Manchester, Blackpool, Fleetwood, St Annes etc.

I have looked on the councils web site but I cant find the answer

Validity or otherwise of their insurance should you be injured while travelling with them?

Not a problem for users - road traffic act means that regardless of the validity in terms of the driver and him recovering his losses, you as a third party would still be covered. Insurance exists, therefore can't be invalidated to third parties.

It sounds like good advice to me, makes people sit up and think before they get into a taxi.

So whats the problem if it is libellous ? that's a private matter between the taxi companies involved and named. Sounds a good informative leaflet warning as to the dangers etc.

There's no doubt that there are some unlicensed cars knocking about especially during a recession when ordinary people are trying to make a bit of extra cash by hiring out their own car as a private hire taxi.

Remember such people and cars will not have undergone any checks, and will probably be uninsured as a consequence.

It used to be that private hire cars were not allowed to pick up in the street and could only be hired by phone call. I don't know if that system operates outside Sheffield.

Always check.

Archived