Libellous taxi leaflet?

I googled them and found nothing to indicate they were operating illegally.

If I do recieve one of these leaflets. I wont know till I go home I will simply post it to the taxi firm they are telling me to avoid and let the sparks fly.

The only reason I see for someone needing to be licenced by a council is so our lords and masters can get more money out of us.

As I couldnt find the answer on the council web site I sent the following email today

PLYING FOR TRADE IN SHEFFIELD WITH OUT OF TOWN PLATES

Could you please tell me if it is legal for private hire firms to pick up in Sheffield MDC area with plates from outside sheffield ie North East Derbyshire or Rotherham for example

this is the reply

The simple answer to this is yes they can - but with some caveats to that,

which are,

the operator, vehicle and driver have to be licensed by the same Authority,

For example I could order a Private Hire vehicle licensed in Birmingham to take me from Sheffield to Leeds, it is perfectly legal for that Birmingham company to take and complete that booking if the provide me with a Birmingham Licensed vehicle driven by a Birmingham Licensed driver.

The instances of this has become more prevalent since the introduction of none area specific phone numbers, O800 or Mobile numbers, and electronic bookings etc, Sheffield Firms currently are accepting bookings for out of Sheffield pick ups, and have been for many years.

I hope this answer your question.

As I couldnt find the answer on the council web site I sent the following email today

PLYING FOR TRADE IN SHEFFIELD WITH OUT OF TOWN PLATES

Could you please tell me if it is legal for private hire firms to pick up in Sheffield MDC area with plates from outside sheffield ie North East Derbyshire or Rotherham for example

this is the reply

The simple answer to this is yes they can - but with some caveats to that,

which are,

the operator, vehicle and driver have to be licensed by the same Authority,

For example I could order a Private Hire vehicle licensed in Birmingham to take me from Sheffield to Leeds, it is perfectly legal for that Birmingham company to take and complete that booking if the provide me with a Birmingham Licensed vehicle driven by a Birmingham Licensed driver.

The instances of this has become more prevalent since the introduction of none area specific phone numbers, O800 or Mobile numbers, and electronic bookings etc, Sheffield Firms currently are accepting bookings for out of Sheffield pick ups, and have been for many years.

I hope this answer your question.

That would seem that there's no problem then.

Not a problem for users - road traffic act means that regardless of the validity in terms of the driver and him recovering his losses, you as a third party would still be covered. Insurance exists, therefore can't be invalidated to third parties.

That's about motor vehicle insurance, not passenger liability insurance.

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 11:52 ----------

The only reason I see for someone needing to be licenced by a council is so our lords and masters can get more money out of us.

You can't see any other reasons for licensing? Such as to ensure a minimum level of service, to manage the market, to allow the tracking of the licensed thing (ie to identify a cab if there is a problem)... No reason at all other than making money.

You can't see any other reasons for licensing? Such as to ensure a minimum level of service, to manage the market, to allow the tracking of the licensed thing (ie to identify a cab if there is a problem)... No reason at all other than making money.

And the law says that it has to be done..... The Council are statutorily obliged to perfom the licensing function

If I do recieve one of these leaflets. I wont know till I go home I will simply post it to the taxi firm they are telling me to avoid and let the sparks fly.

Very short sighted opinion.

There are loads of very good reasons why a licence is needed, and money is not one of them.

Archived